Chapter 02

The Principal approaches the boy with a wide smile, shaking his hand as they speak out the front. I try to read their lips, but I'm too far away and it's almost impossible to see their lips. They stand there talking for a couple of minutes, smiles on both their faces. They start to walk towards the building, leaving the field of flowers behind them.

Once they are completely out of sight, my shoulders drop slightly as I pay attention to the teacher again, not having any interest to look outside. Not even at the flowers that caused my mind to wonder outside. I rest my head on the desk, closing my eyes as I took in the information that the teacher was telling us, not sure on how this was going to help me in the future.

There was a knock on the door, causing the classroom to go silent, making it easier for me to doze off into a sleep. But instead, I decide to lift up my head and look over to the door, curious as to who it could be. When I see that it's the principal, I know who is going to be behind him. The boy in front of the flower field.

"Class, this is Theo Raeken. He's new here and I trust that you will all do well to make him feel welcomed," Principal Thomas informs us, smiling as Theo is finally revealed. "If he has any questions or if you see him out and about in the hall today, make sure you say hello and help him around."

I feel a small smile creep onto my face, finally knowing the boys name, but I don't allow it to stay for too long. Once Mr. Thomas left and the class has settled down, Theo comes towards the back of the class and sits down next to me. I look next to me and raise my eyebrows at Mason, unsure if I should say anything to him or introduce myself.

Mason looks next to me and pouts out his bottom lip, nodding as he discreetly looked Theo from top to bottom. I give him a stern look, mouthing the word Corey as he does so, reminding him that he still was in a current, ongoing relationship. Mason looks back at me and gives me a harsh look like I had just crossed the line, but he isn't mad. More hurt than anything, but he knows it's for the best.

I turned around to talk to Theo, only to watch as he quickly copies down the notes, getting right into it and settling down quickly. I smile and faced the front again, copying down the new notes and catching a glimpse of Theo every couple of minutes. He pulls out his timetable and starts observing it, allowing me to observe him.

He has blue eyes like me, but his are slightly lighter and much softer than mine. He has a medium tone of brown hair, long enough to fall in front of his face when he wrote, covering particular facial features. I sit back in my chair, getting a look at his timetable, disappointed to see we had no other classes together today. He brushes a piece of hair behind his ear, showing off all his facial features that I couldn't see before.

He turns slightly towards my direction, looking at the clock and then back down at his timetable. I quickly looked back up the front and keep my eyes in that direction, fighting the urge to look at him again.

"Homework is due tomorrow in the afternoon, and all I want you to do is the reading on page 394," Miss. Ramsey speaks, smiling as the class groans and rolls their eyes. "And don't forget about the report write up that's due in two weeks time."

I scrunch up my face and silently curse, only just remembering that we had the report write up. We were meant to start writing it about a week ago, but I've been distracted lately and I haven't been able to find the time to do it. I can feel Mason glaring at me, but I'm not going to look at him.

He pity's me and I hate it when people pity me, especially when it's my own fault. I'm the one who never remembers to do any homework and I know that it's going to bring down my grades, but I have no motivation to do it. I'm always either drawing or doing other things and homework never crosses my mind.

My mum hates my attitude towards school, but I can't change it. I've always tried to, but it never seems to work. I only enjoy art class and I only have a positive attitude towards that, and she's noticed. It's also the only class that I get A's in and that keeps her happy, even though she would prefer me to get A's in Math and English because, 'they help you get places in life'. Even though I want to be an artist of some sort when I grow up.

"Liam," Mason whispers, snapping me out of my thoughts. "We can study Chemistry and English tonight if you want. I still haven't really started this report either and we can do it together tonight." I can tell that he is lying, but I don't want to say no. I can use the help.

Mason is always weeks ahead with work and manages to get almost straight A's in every class. I don't get how he does it. He tells me that it's easy and all you have to do is pay attention, but that definitely doesn't work for me.

"Yeah, that sounds good. Thanks," I smile, looking down at my pathetic attempt of a report. I got three sentences into it and then gave up, and now I'm paying for it. I look up at the clock and watch as it slowly ticks over, second by second.

After what feels like forever, bell finally went and everyone starts to pack up their things, rushing out of class to get to their next session. Both Mason and I walk out together, heading towards our next class.

The day went by slowly, each class dragging out longer and longer. I fell asleep during Maths and could have fallen asleep during all my other classes, but Mason managed to keep me awake by talking. Lunch times were just as bad as well. They felt never ending and it felt like time had even frozen at one point. When the day was finally over, I wait outside for Stiles to pick me up and take me home.

I watch as everyone walks out of school, smiling and laughing. I look around at everyone and keep an eye out for anyone I know. I look over to a group of lacrosse players, tempted to go over there and talk to them, but I spot Stiles coming down the road.

I walk over to the curb, getting ready to jump in his car. I look over to the group of boys again, looking at a field of flowers behind them. They were all dead and flattened to the ground, obviously from people stepping all over them.

I think back to this morning when they were alive and lifted off the ground. Where I saw Theo standing there, his soft eyes looking down at them. I jump into Stiles car, knowing that I'm not going to see Theo at all again today.