Chapter 17

I walk into the hallway, heading straight to Mason's locker. I walk pass Gabe and his group, receiving a dirty look from each and everyone of them. I keep my head down, avoiding any drama that could arise.

I arrive at Mason's locker, leaning against the locker next to his, waiting for him to close his locker. I think back to yesterday at the cafe, how Theo and I were having a good time. I don't get what it is that I'm doing wrong. I just want him to trust me, for him to know that I'll always be here for him.

"You good?" Mason asks me, snapping his fingers in front of my face. "Looks like you're deep in thoughts there."

"Yeah, just thinking about all these exams we have coming up." I laugh, trying to change the subject. "Have you been studying for this biology test?"

"Liam, I'm already studying for the maths test that's in 6 weeks... of course I'm studying for this test." He tells me, rolling his eyes as we begin to walk to class. "I'm guessing you haven't started studying?"

"I haven't had the time too and with everything going on at home, it's hard to concentrate. My mind is just everywhere but school, which sucks, but it is what it is." I tell him.

I walk into class, looking at the back of the classroom and see him there. My heart drops into my stomach as I watch him sit there with his head down, drawing or scribbling on a piece of paper. I walk over to the back of the classroom, sitting down next to him.

I look over his shoulder, smiling as he continues to draw. I sit back in my chair, tapping my pencil on my table, waiting for the right moment to say something to him. I bite the corner of my bottom lip as I think about what to say, and how to say it.

"I like your drawing," I blurt out, closing my eyes as I instantly regret it leaving my mouth. "I mean, I saw it as I walked passed you and I really like it."

I smile and wait for him to respond, but he doesn't even flinch as I speak. I furrow my eyebrows, taking a deep breath in, trying to ignore it. I don't know if he's ignoring me, didn't hear me, or has his AirPods in or something like that, but I can feel the anger arising in me.

I count to ten slowly, trying to calm my heart rate before it gets too out of control. I close my eyes, thinking back to yesterday, hearing his laugh and seeing his smile. I open my eyes again, a soft smile on my face. The teacher finally walks in, going straight over to the board and writing down a bunch of stuff that I will forget by the end of this lesson.

I take down the notes, trying my best to remember everything as I write it down. I grab out my highlighters and begin to highlight key words and whatever looks important to me. I look over to Theo and instantly feel an emptiness in my stomach. I look back down and try to calm my breathing.

Not only did Theo have a busted lip, but he also had a black eye and what looked like a cut on his cheek. I bite my bottom lip, trying to think about what I need to do. I can't go and see someone behind his back, because I know for a fact I will lose him forever and I don't want that to happen. But at the same time, I can't just sit here and do nothing and try to take matters into my own hands.

I myself am just a kid, who has no idea what he's doing. Theo needs someone to talk to and it needs to be someone who knows what they're doing, not just someone who think they're doing what's best for him.

"Theo, you need to talk to someone. Please," I whisper, making sure I don't draw any attention to us.

Theo looks at me, his eye and lip swollen. I can see the fear in his eyes as I look at him, which makes me even more concerned for him. Him not wanting people to know about this, it could be for multiple reason, but of course my mind goes straight to the worse reason.

Maybe whoever is doing this to him, maybe they're also threatening him about telling people. And maybe me talking to him about it all, is just making it worse. Maybe I'm the reason he's scared to talk to me.

"I have to go," he quickly tell me, picking up all his books and running out of the classroom.

"Mr. Raeken," our teacher yells, throwing her hands in the air as he runs straight pass her.

I go to call out his name, but stop myself from doing so. I look over to Mason, who looks at me and jerks his head towards the door. I know exactly what he's telling me to do, so I quickly shove all my books into my bag and run out after him.

"Liam!" My teacher yells at me, but I don't stop to explain anything.

I run down the hallway, but don't have to get far as I see Theo standing at the end. I hear him sniff and wipe away the tears running down his face. I walk over to him cautiously, trying not to move too quickly or make any sudden noises.

"Why do you care?" He asks me, his voice breaking.

"Because something is going on and I care about you Theo," I tell him, stopping as he turns to face me. "You don't have to tell me anything, but I just need you to know that I'm here for you. I care about you and I need you to know that you have someone here for you."

He puts his hands on his head and starts crying again. I stand there, hesitant to speak again. I decide not to, as I would only make the situation worse. I slowly reach out my hand and place it on his shoulder, only for him to shrug it off straight away.

"Well, just stop fucking caring about me!" He yells at me, walking away from me.

"Theo," I whisper, breathlessly. 

I stand there, watching as he walks away. I blink, feeling the tears fall down my face.