Chapter 24

After not being able to sleep until 3 in the morning, biology is the last thing I wanted first up. It also doesn't help that I slept through all my alarms, had to skip breakfast and still managed to arrive late.

I run into the hallways, going straight to my locker to grab my biology stuff. I shove my bag into my locker and speed walk to class. I arrive, everyones staring right at me. I feel my breath deepening as I stand there, receiving looks from everyone.

I look around to Mason, and of course the one day I'm late, he also decides to be late. I scan the rows looking for anyone else I know and stop when I see him. I stand there and stare at him, my heart sinking as I see Gabe sitting next to him.

Out of all the people he could have sat next to, he chose the one person I hate most at this school. The one person who has made my life a living hell. I ignore it and give Theo a small wave, only to get rejected and completely ignore. I can tell that something isn't right, that something is making him nervous or uncomfortable. I try to ignore it, but fail.

I clench my fist as I walk into the classroom, my anger taking over all my other emotions. I put my head down as I walk past them, even though I don't make it passed them. Instead, I manage to make it onto the floor, which I know is no coincidence.

I look behind me to see Gabe's foot in the pathway. He looks down at me and starts laughing. I slowly get up, everyone in the classroom laughing and mocking me. I clench my jaw and look at Theo. He looks at Gabe and then to me, nervously laughing.

"Hey, Dumbar, send me a post card next time you go on a trip!" Gabe yells, adding to everyones laughter.

I roll my eyes, slamming my books on my desk as I sit down aggressively. I tap my pen on my desk as I try to calm down. I readjust myself in my chair, trying to get comfortable. I want to get up and punch Gabe straight in the face. I want to show him I'm not afraid of him, but I can't let him win.

I can't put my future in jeopardy because of some high school douche. I crack my knuckles and try my breathing exercises, but none of them seem to work. I close my eyes and try to imagine my happy place. I can see the flower patch at the front of the school and I see him standing there, next to him. The moment I took an instant liking to him. The moment my whole life got fucked up.

"Hey." I hear someone whisper next to me.

I open my eyes and see Mason standing there, unpacking his bag next to me. I sigh in relief, happy to see my best friend here.

"Thank god." I smile, giving him a fist bump as he sits down. "Also, after class we really need to talk."

"About what?" He asks me, concerned.

"Don't worry it's nothing bad. I just have something to ask you and also something to tell you." I inform him.

I decided last night I need to tell someone about my situation with Theo. I'm obviously not going to tell Mason everything, but I am going to tell him enough for him to understand. There are a few details I can leave out.

"Good morning class, good to see everyone so energised." Mrs. Finch says brightly, clearing being sarcastic.

I roll my eyes and look at Mason, showing his that I was clearly uninterested in the class. Mrs. Finch begins the class and puts up the powerpoint, getting straight into the nature of biology. I listen for about the first 10 minutes and take notes, but then my mind just wonders off.

I begin sketching in my book, until I hear whispering up ahead. I try to ignore it and continue on with the drawing, however, one of the voices draws my attention to their conversation. I look up from my drawing, staring at Gabe and Theo as they whisper to one another.

I pay close attention to Theo, trying to hear any part of their conversation. Even though I may not be able to hear it, I can tell by Theo's face he's scared of Gabe. Whenever Theo feels scared or threatened, he does this thing with his eyes.

He closes them slightly, but has then opened enough so he can still see. I noticed it when I picked him up from his house, when he told me about his past, when I woke him up that morning and when he got that message. He's afraid of Gabe, but refuses to show him.

I lean over to Mason, I raise my eyebrows over to Gabe and Theo. Mason looks at them and then back at me, shrugging his shoulders as he tries to figure out what I saying. I roll my eyes and gesture for him to get closer to me.

"What's going on there? Since when have those two been friends?" I ask him, trying to get to the bottom of it.

I may be mad at Theo and I may not want anything to do with him anymore, although there's just apart of me that can't shake him off. It's like he's a stain I can't get rid off, no matter how hard I try.

"Dude," Mason whispers, looking at me like I'm a complete idiot. "Please tell me you know."

"Know what?" I whisper loudly, getting the attention of a few students. I look over to Theo again, relieved that they didn't hear.

"Theo and Gabe are step brothers. Theo's mum and Gabe's dad are literally engaged." He tells me.

I sit there in disbelief, leaning back over to my table. I stare at the two of them as they continue to talk. I study Gabe closely, looking down at his hands. I notice on his left hand, his knuckles are slightly bruised and there's a scab on one of them.

I stare back at Theo and look at the bruises on his face, which have cleared up more. I look back at Gabe, finally connecting all the dots that I've been missing. When Theo's mum and step dad were fighting, something seemed off. His mum kept shouting out 'he', but I thought she was referring to Theo. But oh, how I was so wrong. This whole time!

Even when Theo told me the story, he never mentioned that it was his step dad that did it too him. His parents weren't fighting because of what the step dad did... they were fighting because of what his son did. My mouth drops as I finally put it together.

"Oh my god... it's Gabe."

----------------------
Sorry for the boring chapter, but I had to add this plot twist in some how.

Also, the picture makes me laugh so much because of what Dylan said during the reunion 😂