Chapter 06

I wake up to my phone vibrating next to me. I roll over and lean on my elbow, checking the notifications that were coming through. It was from the 'beacon pack' group chat and everyone seems to be on it. I unlock my phone and read all the messages, getting caught up on the chat.

Scott was planning on having everyone over for the afternoon and then go to a party that someone was throwing. They refused to say who it was because it was a surprise, but they know I don't do surprises.

Scotty boi 🥍 : So who's coming and who isn't?
Me: I'm down to hang out at yours, but maybe not the party...
Mal 🧸: Oh come on Liam! You need to live your life. Come out for a little while and enjoy it.

I sigh at Malia's last message and give in, accepting that I do in fact need get out more. Ever since last year, I haven't been the same. I got cheated on and had my first heartbreak, which led to my obsession of drawing. I would cancel on my friends just to stay home and draw.

There was even a point in my life where I isolated myself in my room, just sitting there, drawing all day. I would only leave to get food and use the bathroom. I didn't show up to school for a couple weeks and I didn't see any reason to leave the house. But tonight, I am going to leave and move on with my life.

I get out of bed and go into my bathroom, turning on the shower and getting it. I wash down my body, wash my hair and get out. I look in the mirror and smile, running my fingers through my hair. I brush my teeth and go back into my bedroom. I look through my closet, trying to find something that I don't usually wear.

I want to look different tonight. More presentable and fancy, rather than my usual shirt and jeans. I grab a pair of black ripped jeans, a nice black top and a denim jacket. Its not much different to my usual outfit, but a denim jacket always improves the look.

My phone starts ringing in my pocket and I know instantly that it's going to be Stiles.

"Hello?" I speak into the phone, running down the stairs and grabbing my wallet.

"I'm here, the timer starts now..." he pauses and takes a deep breath in. "Run."

I grab a pair of shoes and lock the door behind me, running down my driveway and just making it to Stiles' car in time. I get in and start panting in the front seat, resting my head back as I slowly catch my breath.

"I don't get it Liam," he looks me up and down and shakes his head. "I really don't get it."

"Get what?" I ask him, now suddenly feeling somewhat insecure. I look down at my denim jacket, unsure if that was what he was referring to.

"I don't get how you can play lacrosse without getting puffed out straight away, but when you run 10 metres from your house you get puffed out." He shakes his head and starts driving, turning up the radio so there's no room for conversation.

After what felt like a good hour- even though it was only 20 minutes- we finally arrived at Scott's place. I get out of the car and go to his front door, walking straight in and making my way to the living room. So far Allison, Lydia, Scott, Malia and Isaac are the only ones here. I give each and everyone one of them a hug, stopping for a chat with Allison about school and everything that's been happening.

We chat for about 20 minutes and then start getting ready for the party. Well by we, I mean the girls. They still need to do their hair and their makeup, whereas us guys just need to quickly do our hair and that's it.

"So who's party are we actually going to?" I finally ask, sick of not knowing who's party it is.

I look around as everyones face just drops, Stiles scratches his chin and raises his eyebrows at Scott, clearly unsure of what to do. Scott gives me a sympathetic look and comes over to me, sitting down next to me and giving me a weak smile.

"We didn't want to tell you, because we knew you back down straight away." The tone of his voice softened, making me worry just that little bit extra. "It's Hayden's party."

My heart drops, making my breath hitch. All the memories from last year come rushing back in. The heartbreak, the isolation, the pain that it caused me, my recovery that took months. I suddenly feel overwhelmed and like I'm in an overcrowded area.

"I can't go Scott, I don't want to go." The tone in my voice is serious, but also scared.

I don't want to fall back down the hole I did last year when she cheated on me. Hayden and I, we dated for a couple of months and things were getting really serious. We would be together constantly and we even met each others family. We were going to take it even further, but then I caught her cheating with one of my lacrosse mates. Nolan.

Ever since then I've never been able to look at him the same and I haven't been able to heal from that experience.

"Look Liam, if you don't want to come, that is perfectly fine. I understand that and I know everyone else here does as well, but we just want to get you out of the house and get you back to your old self. Mason tells me that you were once a big party animal," he nudges my shoulder, laughing and brighten up my mood.

"You're right. I can't keep putting my life on hold because of something that happened in the past. I'm going to this party tonight and I am going to bring out the old me," I smile and nod my head.

As much as this is going to kill me, I am going to show people the old me. The one who knew how to party and wasn't afraid to be himself. The one that Hayden destroyed when she broke my heart.

2 hours later:
As we pull up into her street, we instantly hear the music blasting from her house. Stiles parks a couple houses down from hers, as there is no other parking available. I get out of the car and instantly start dancing, jogging up to her house.

I see Mason and Corey standing at the door, waiting for us to arrive. I greet them by giving them both a hug, bopping my head to the music as I do so. They give me a hug back with a warm smile, but as soon as they look at one another, the smile fades instantly.

"So, you guys ready to party?" I yell over the music, bumping my fist in the air.

"Ready for it to be over," Corey says, kicking the rocks on the ground.

"Oh, real mature." Mason snaps, crossing his arms.

I look at both of them and furrow my eyebrows, shaking my head as I walk off from them. I go inside and high five a couple people as I walk threw, smiling and waving at people. Half the people I don't even recognise, but they seem to recognise me, so clearly they must know me somehow.

I get into the kitchen and pour myself a drink, sculling it and pouring myself another one. I stand in the corner, looking around to find a familiar face. I scan the room and notice Hayden. She's dancing in the centre of the room, throwing her head around as she dances wildly, not caring how stupid she looks.

I laugh and start walking over to her, knowing that I am probably making the worst mistake of my life. She stops dancing for a second and catches my eye, her mouth falling open as she sees me approaching. I smirk and slightly laugh, leaning down to get closer to her.

"Want to dance?" I shout in her ear, trying to be louder than the music.

She looks at me shocked, her eyes looking glassy. She nods her head, smiling as she takes a step closer to me. I start dancing, getting closer and closer to her with each motion. I grab her by the waist and sync up our motions. We're now only millimetres apart, our skin touching every few seconds.

Her cool breath on my skin, sending goosebumps all over my body. I bite my bottom lip and pull her in closer, removing any space there was between us. She looks up at me and gets closer to my face, looking from my eyes to my lips. I look down at her lips and move in closer, smiling as I pull back.

I let go of her waist and take a few steps back, mixing in with the crowd as I dance. I look over to the doorway, suddenly frozen and unable to move. I stand there and watch as Theo walks in.