Chapter 25

I watch the clock as it slowly ticks, each second feeling like an eternity. I need to talk to Theo and I need to do it now, but Gabe cannot be there. I slowly start packing up and begin to stand up as the clock slowly makes its way around.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the bell goes. Theo quickly gets up and rushes out of the class room, I go to call out his name but I can feel Gabe's glare on me. I calmly exist the classroom, trying to act as though nothing was wrong. I stand in the hallway, looking from side to side until my eye caught a sight of Theo.

I find him and run over to him, pushing past people as I make my way to Theo. I stop in my tracks as he stands next to Hayden, talking to her. He looks around and his facial expression goes from happy too scared within milliseconds. I watch as Gabe approaches him, I get my fist ready as he approaches Theo.

I don't think Gabe would be stupid enough to do anything at school, but then at the same time, I really can't predict what he'd do. I slowly walk towards then, but stop as I watch Gabe make out with Hayden. I stand there in disgust, looking away instantly, trying to burn that imagine out of my mind.

I look back to Theo and lock eyes with him. He looks at me and shakes his head, fear in his eyes. I smile at him, only for him to turn around and walk away from me. I furrow my eyebrows, shaking my head as I go to follow him. I turn my head as I walk past Hayden and Gabe, wanting to avoid seeing that up close.

"Hey, Dumbar!" I hear Gabe shout behind me.

I roll my eyes and continue to walk, until I am somehow back on the floor. I clench my jaw and curl up my fist, pounding my hand on the ground as I get up. I turn around and take a step closer tot Gabe, looking up as I stare him in the eyes.

"Okay, I see that there is a lot of masculinity here, too much for me to handle," Hayden tells us, stepping between Gabe and I. "Come on, hun lets just leave."

She pushes Gabe away from me, turning around and giving me a soft look. I want to push her away from him, I want to protect her as well, but I know I can't. I can't protect anyone and I know that. Gabe is twice my size and he would literally kick my arse, but I will not go down with a fight.

"Alright," he laughs, raising his hands as though he was surrendering. "I just need to quickly tell, Liam something and then we'll go."

He gives her a kiss on the forehead and walks up to me. I feel the sweat drip down my forehead as he towers over me. My fist still clenched, ready to fight. I feel his hot breath on my face, which is mildly unpleasant.

He smiles and slowly leans down to me. I look at him confused, unsure on what's actually happening here. I look around, hoping for some kind of explanation. I want to tell him that this isn't what I expected and this isn't what I want, at all. But instead of kissing me, he leans down to my ear.

"You stay the fuck away from, Theo." He whispers. He stands up straight again and gives me a smug smile. He places his hand on my shoulder, laughing as if he'd just told me something funny. "You got it?"

"Got it." I whisper, knowing for a fact that I wasn't going to leave Theo alone.

I push his hand off my shoulder, dusting it off as I do so. I stare him in the eyes as he stands there, clearly not threatened or even remotely sympathetic. It's like he enjoys hurting people, like it's a fetish of his.

"Good." He smiles, turning around, walking off with Hayden.

I pick my books up for the second time today and continue walking down the hallway. I don't even bother looking for Theo, as he's probably already left the school grounds. I pull out my phone and text Mason, asking where he was.

I try to push Theo out of my mind. There's only one way to end this obsession and constant concern, and that's to forget about Theo. I know it's easier said than done, but with the way Theo's been acting, it'll probably be easier than I thought.

I don't want to forget about him, but I can't keep putting myself in these situations. Maybe I will just go to the police or to a guidance councillor or someone who knowns what they're doing. I don't want to betray Theo's trust, but he clearly doesn't want me to help and I can't just let this slide.

I walk past the boys locker room but don't get far. Instead of getting pushed to the ground, I get pulled into the locker room. My books fall to the floor as I get snatched inside.

"Are you serious?" I look down at my books. "They're probably ruined by now."

I turn around to see who it was this time, only to get surprised by who it was. I stare at Theo as he stands there, a nervous look on his face.

"Sorry," he whispers, moving me out of the way as he picks up my books. "It was the only way I could talk to you."

He hands me my books, which I take back slowly. I look at him confused as to what actually just happened. He stares at the ground, kicking his leg back and forth as we stand here in silence. I tap my fingers on my book, waiting for something to happen.

"Okay, I'm just going to leave." I tell him, waving goodbye as I go to leave.

"Wait, please." He finally speaks, biting his lower lip.

I roll my eyes and stand there, giving him my full attention. He takes a deep breath and takes a step closer to me.

"I can't explain everything and trust me, I want to. I want to tell you everything and I want to be your friend, but I can't." He tells me.

A small pain runs through me as he refers to me as his friend. I know that's all we are and that's all I want to be, but to hear it said out loud and by Theo, kind of hit a nerve.

"Can't tell me that Gabe is the one doing this to you? That Gabe is your step brother and he is brutally beating you for no reason?" I ask him, my tone slightly pissed off.

"Liam, you don't know anything. Just drop it please," he begs me.

"No, tell me why and then I'll think about it." I tell him, making sure he knows I'm not going to abandon him like that.

He covers his face with his hands and groans. I can tell that he's frustrated, but I need to know why. I can't just ignore this like him, I can't just leave him like that and he knows it. He looks at me and shakes his head. His eyes glossy with tears.

"Don't you get it yet?" He asks me, throwing his hands up at me. "I am trying to protect you, idiot! You need to leave me alone!"

He pushes me out of the way and leaves. I finally get it now. He's been acting like this towards me hoping it'll make me care less about him. He's been doing this to protect me, to keep me out of his family drama. He doesn't want me getting hurt, so he's been isolating himself from me, he's been acting like a complete dick towards me, so I will forget about.

Theo isn't weak at all. He isn't weak and afraid. He's strong and willing to do whatever it takes to protect me.