Chapter 16

I wake up to my alarm going off in the distance. I turn around slowly, reaching for my phone, confused to find that it isn't on my bedside table. I rub my eyes, adjusting to being awake and back into reality. I listen for my alarm, looking under my bed, grabbing my phone and turning off my alarm.

I flop back down and stretch my whole body, yawning as I close my eyes again. What I would do for an extra 5 minutes. I roll out of bed and walk over to my bathroom, looking in the mirror and seeing a rough sight.

I quickly get ready and dress, running down stairs and grabbing a banana for the road. I run out to my car and put on my Powfu playlist, turning up the music as I drive to Mason's house. I play my music loudly, trying hard to sing over to the music, but failing.

I pull into Mason's driveway, honking twice. I grab my banana and started eating, knowing that Mason won't be out until at least another five minutes. I turn down the music as his neighbours give me a disapproving look, shaking their heads as they get into their car and head to work. I bop my head to the music, looking at Mason's door as it swings open.

I honk twice more, waving as he runs down the stairs, still putting his shoes on as he runs towards me. He opens up the door and jumps in, out of breath and looking like a mess. I laugh and quickly change my playlist to throwbacks, because who doesn't love throwbacks?

I pull out of his driveway and make my way to the school, driving slightly slower than the speed limit, just so we can get in as many throw backs as possible. Mason and I sing to all the songs we know and either skip the ones we don't, or just act like we do and bop our heads to them. After the short 20 minute drive, I pull into school and find a park closest to the school.

I turn off the engine and sit there, grabbing my phone and looking through my snapchat stories. Mason sits there next to me, texting Corey, waiting for him like he usually does in the mornings. I yawn and turn off my phone, resting my head and closing my eyes. I think back to last night and everything that happened with Theo.

"Tired?" Mason asks me, frightening me slightly. "What time did you go to bed?"

"Like 12 or something," I tell him. "But I did not get a good sleep, I feel like I didn't get any sleep last night."

"Is something on your mind or something?" I give him a strange look, wondering how he can tell. "Come on dude, we've been best friends since preschool, you don't think I can tell when something is off? Somethings been on your mind for a couple days now. I've just been waiting for you to tell me."

I guess Mason does know me better than I thought. I also knew that he could tell when something was off about me, but I've been trying so hard to hid this. I readjust myself in my seat so that I'm facing him. I take a deep breath in, not sure where I should start and how I should start.

"So, you know how Theo came to school with that bloody lip yesterday and how I ditched last class yesterday?" He gives me a concerned look, nodding. "Well, I took him to the cafe down the road and we started talking about how he's settling down here, and then that's when he mentioned his step dad. But whenever he spoke about him, he would get all squeamish and like something was wrong.

"So, I think he didn't get that blood lip because he 'tripped over', I think something else happened." I tell him, watching as his facial expression go through all the emotions. "And I think there is something seriously wrong and I want to help, but I don't know how to. So, that's why I couldn't sleep last night."

He gives me a speechless look, not knowing what to say. I sit there and bit the corner of my lip, not sure on what to say next. Mason looks at me, pouts out his lip and gives me his best attempt at a hug.

I hug him back, not quite sure as to why he was hugging me. He gave me a small squeeze and then let me go, sitting back in his seat and sighing.

"Dude, that is a lot to hold on your shoulders. Especially with everything else you're dealing with. I wish you would have told me, I could have help, I can help." He tells me, still pouting. "But I guess that kind of makes sense as to why you ditch last class. It was a nice thing to do, Liam. Theo's lucky to have a friend like you."

I want to agree with Mason, but I can't. I know that there really isn't much that I can do with the little information I have, but there has to be something. I've considered going to the councillor or to the police station, but I don't want to add fuel to a fire. I could have it all wrong or I might just make things a lot worse, and I do not want to be responsible for that.

We sit here in silence, none of us even moving. I want to say something, I want to tell him my plan, but at the same time I can't. And I don't know why I can't, but I just can't. I think I'm just as scared as Theo, and that's because I'm worried about his safety.

"Well I'm having a small party this weekend, with just a couple of friends. You can invite Theo if you want," Mason tells me, smiling as he opens the car door. "You're doing the right thing, L."

He gets out of the car and closes the door, running over to Corey and hugging him. I grab my phone, keys, bag and get out of the car. It's a lot warmer out here than I expected, but it's nice. It's better than the weather we've had all week, and definitely isn't hoodie weather.

I open my car door again, taking my hoodie off and throwing it on the front seat. I lock my car and walk onto the school grounds, putting my bag on my back and putting in my AirPods. I go to play my music, but Theo catches my eye from a distance.

He has a black hoodie on, with grey sweat pants. I look over at him, confused as to how he isn't sweating and boiling hot. He slowly approaches a bench at the front of the school, his hands in his pocket. He kicks the ground as he walks, not having enough energy to lift them up just that little bit more.

I start to walk over to him, slightly concerned as to why he was still wearing his hoodie. I've been outside for about 5 minutes and I'm already starting to heat up. I take out my AirPods and put them back in my bag.

"Hey!" I yell out to Theo, but don't get any reaction. "Hey, Theo!" I yell again.

He quickly turns around, sees me and gives me a quick wave. He turns around and heads towards the seat. I follow him, expecting him to sit down, but he does the opposite. Instead, he speeds up and walks straight past the seat and towards the back of the school.

I stop following him and stand there, confused as to what just happened. I don't know if he was walking away from me or if he was walking away because he just wants to be left alone. I hesitantly turn around and head into school.

I turn around once more, Theo now so far away, I can barely see him. My concern thickens for him as new scenarios and thoughts flow into my mind.