Chapter 20

There have been several definitions stated around the world on ‘love’. Some are easy to connect with while others require deep understanding.

When I realized I had fallen for Niall, never for once I could relate to any of those definitions that I came across in my twenty two years of life. All I could feel and understand about love was Niall.

But with time passing by slowly and we getting to know each other more and more I settled with a version of my ‘own’ definition.

Niall and I became friends instantly, and I acquired a liking towards him in a blink of an eye. I don’t know when my heart rates started to get panicky simply by seeing his face, my body started to get goose bumps with a close proximity to his, and my mind stopped controlling my heart into whatever the latter was treading to. Everything just happened like that, without my understanding and my knowledge as unusual as it sounds.

And that is my definition of love – spontaneous.

Niall confessed to me a number of times how he ‘knowingly’ fell for me. He had no strength to cease himself because he had a feeling it was ‘right’, and I got woven into him, and his world ‘unknowingly’.

But once we realized there wasn't any turning back for us. We fell for each other differently but got involved ‘equally’.

I started loving him unconditionally and so did he.

On Friday when Niall asked me to move in with him, my life flashed before my eyes. All the hardships we had to go through, the pangs, and sometimes an earnest desire from my side wishing my parents and Jenny would've been here to see him, and see how happy he made me, reverberated in my mind. I couldn't believe for a second that he was actually asking me that, a step so big that the word itself is an understatement.

The suddenness of the question, and the prospect of we ‘finally’ uniting overwhelmed me so much that I couldn't concentrate on anything but wait for Sunday to arrive. Adding to that, Niall had been a fuel to my excitement with him sharing his plans of going about with this ‘new’ development with me. Not that I had no work to do. God, I had to pack and I packed my life. I contacted the truck driver who helped me move to this apartment a year back, and he was thankfully available. Some of the people in my apartment asked me about my plans, and I said I’m shifting back to my old apartment due to its proximity to Orient.

It was around 3.30 Pm when I found myself sitting on one of the packed boxes with my eyes fixated on the mobile screen. I rested my chin on my left palm as the latter rested on my left thigh. With folded lips I held a boredom filled countenance. Rats were running crazily inside my stomach, and I couldn't wait any longer to reach Paradise.

Both the truck driver and Niall were scheduled to arrive at 3.15 Pm. While it was expected of the driver to get late, Niall’s absence yet now was shocking considering he was always extra punctual.

“Damn it man,” I frowned as I pulled myself up.

Just then, the doorbell rang. I rushed to the door and opened it wide expectantly looking for Niall. But it was the truck driver.

“Oh….hi,” I said, the smile fading from my lips.

“Sorry, madam, you see so much jam these days, I not drive fast. I tried short cuts but jam there also, what I do tell me?” I widened my eyes trying to understand his broken English. I controlled my laughter realizing why he is good friends with Kumar.

“It’s okay, I understand,” I nodded in acceptance.

He hurriedly advanced into my apartment as another short but rugged man followed him. They started grabbing the boxes and putting them outside the apartment while I stood at one corner with my arms crossed before my chest.