Chapter 47

I wrapped a black scarf around my neck as I settled myself on the seat of the cab. Christmas week is nearer and that only meant winter at its best in Calcutta. I blew air in my palms as I cupped them around my mouth.

"Camac Street," I informed the driver as he started the car.

The weather was so cold that even the full sleeved tunic I was wearing couldn't beat the cold – not forgetting the black stockings that covered my legs. I closed my hands around my bulging belly and looked outside, taking in the images of my busy city.

Just then my mobile burst into a loud song. My ringtone was my current favorite song "22" by Taylor Swift, obviously because I was 22. I clambered for the ringing device inside my handbag before, finding it beneath my body spray.

"Heyyyy," I smiled, answering to Rita.

"Wassup, mommy Thomson," I could hear her smile too through the phone.

"Just sitting here in the cab, going home. You tell me?"

"I beat you to that. I just came home," she laughed.

"Great, how's life there? How's your brother?" I asked, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Oh, he is a naughty prick as usual, and I love it in here. The weather is awesome, and my job is just as fun as one could imagine."

"Sounds lovely, I've never visited Bangalore."

"You should come visit me sometimes. We can go shopping, and hit the pubs. Bangalore has got a great club life."

"Too late for a wish, honey. You know I'm leaving India soon," I folded my lower lip.

"It's not that you're never gonna come back, right?"

I smiled, remembering the same dialogue Niall told me last week when I turned down his proposal to explore the country. "Of course, not," I retorted.

"Good," she said, and paused for a few seconds before saying, "I actually have some news for you."

My heart rates quickened. "I'm listening."

"Turns out that Rishi is quite something," I could imagine her blushing on the other side of the call.

"Really?" I chuckled.

"So, that night after he dropped me home, we exchanged numbers. I don't know, he isn't really the type I get attracted to, but he was making these jokes I was laughing my ass off at, and asking these questions about me that no freaking guy ever cared to know about, and before I knew we were talking to each other every single day," I listened to her, and only thought that this is the most happy she has ever been ever since I met her.

"So, you guys are going out now?" I asked, very happy for my best friend.

"We just went out once when I was in Calcutta, but we have continued talking even after I came back here."

"Is this going somewhere or it's just a passing infatuation?" I inquired; getting conscious that Rishi is Aryan's cousin. I wouldn't have wanted things to get ugly between them, and then turn out to be ugly between me and Aryan too, albeit I knew that Aryan wouldn't act that immature.

"I hope it is. I like him....ahmm...in fact, I really like him."

"Do you feel the vibe from him too?"

"I guess," she replied.

"Well then, good luck. I'm anyway very happy for you," I smiled.

"Yeah," she said. "How are things back there? How heavy are you?"