Chapter 42

The doomsday finally arrived. I saw myself yet again, taking a day off from office much to my boss's dislike. Niall and I didn't have any sleep whatsoever the previous night, and only anticipated about various consequences. After all, it was our first time in a court, seeing our wrong-doer face prosecution, and hopefully get jailed. It was the day of Aarav's court hearing.

The last few days have been really hectic. Officer Frank provided us with an attorney a.k.a his best friend, Vikas Jain. Vikas stayed in Central Calcutta, and owing to my pregnancy, and Niall just out of a surgery, he used to visit our apartment everyday in the evening to discuss the case - a good man he is. Maura used to be on call with Vikas, giving him tips on how to go about the case. Talk about the advantage of having a lawyer soon-to-be mother-in-law. His family vouched to provide any form of help we might need, but honestly we needed only Zayn, and to some extent the boys who at least knew about Aarav unlike Niall's family. I also called up Harish Uncle, the sort of witness of Aarav shooting Niall. It's true that in the beginning he mistook both Aarav, and I to be in the killing-Niall business together, but as Niall suggested, the finger prints that were collected from Aarav's gun had only his fingerprints. The investigators also found the shop, located in the outskirts of Calcutta, near Aarav's parents' home in Barasat from where he "stole" the gun. It was a small museum kind of a place where antique collections were preserved. Aarav went over there as a visitor, and promised to buy the gun, used by once some sort of King, I don't remember, but later stole it instead. The shop owner said they found the thing missing one morning after Aarav dropped by in his car, the one in which he gave me lift the first time we met.

But, one thing that couldn't be fixed was trying to contact Rita - the greatest evidence in the case. I had to tell her a lot of other stuff too besides, pleading to stand against his cousin. She didn't know about my pregnancy, my engagement to Niall, and nor Niall almost dying after being shot. However, informing her of the last event seemed more sane, and important. I tried calling her, numerous times, but to no avail. To some extent it was obvious because no matter what at the end of the day Aarav was her cousin, and she would stick by her family. But, I thought that maybe, just a little maybe, she will consider our friendship, the trust I had on her, and my only shot at happiness - Niall.

The weather was extremely pleasant, soothing my restless nerves. It was late in the morning, and Niall and I were heading to the high court for the prosecution to commence. Aryan and Naina wished us good luck as did all our loved ones from Manchester. Niall told Zayn that he would call him whenever required, and Zayn promised to help in every way he can. Everything was set except Rita who still couldn't be contacted. I knew she must know about the whole incident because nothing hides in the family, and I only thought if she would at least show up in the court.

The cab pulled in before the enormous red building, and Niall and I got down the vehicle. He paid the driver off as we walked up the stairs to enter the building. The stairs were crowded by people, lawyers, and police men. There were cars everywhere including police vans. People stared at us as a un-novelty, and we avoided them. Still a un-novelty! We held hands, and spotted Vikas standing with his back facing us.

"Morning, sir," Niall smiled as we stood before him.

"Morning guys," he smiled, patting on my fiancé's shoulder. "Feel good?"

"Yeah...yeah," Niall nodded. I tried to feel confident in their presence.

"He didn't even get an attorney until the last minute. I hear he has brought some 'friend' who he 'claims' is a 'great' lawyer so, the case is pretty much ours," Vikas said in delight.

"Who? Aarav? I asked, my brows were raised. Vikas nodded.

"Isn't that illegal? I mean to get your case defended by someone who isn't a proper lawyer?" Niall inquired.