Chapter 4

I've waited for this day throughout my life. Waking up early, taking a long bath, getting befuddled while selecting the ‘proper’ attire, having a quick breakfast with a must cup of coffee and finally getting dressed. All for one interview, the one that will decide my future.

Orient Ad Agency replied to my mail showing interest to hold an interview session with me on the very next day after I applied for the job. The happiness and delight that sprouted from my body and mind was indescribable. I felt on top of the world. However, being sceptical as I always have been stole the thunder to a great deal. Tension replaced contentment and sullenness swapped with laughter. “Will I be able to do it?” rotated in my head an umpteen times. The more I tried to suppress them the more I got mixed in the mess.

The only person to calm me down now would be, Niall. Therefore, I picked up my phone and dialled his number as I hit the road. It was 9.00 Am sharp which meant it was 4.30 Am in Manchester. After seven rings, he received the call.

“He….He….lloooo” he answered in a severely broken and hoarse voice.

“I'm so very sorry to wake you up, baby.” I furrowed my eye-brows in utter sadness.

“It’s alright. Tell me,” he coughed a bit.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, yes, tell me.”                                                                               

“Okay…..I'm going for the interview of my job in that ad agency I told you about and I'm super tensed and nervous. Help me, please.” I replied in one big breath.

“I love you and I believe whatever you do will be a success,” he said and resumed, “Is that enough?”

“How mean?” I shrugged my shoulders throwing my right hand in the air.

“Mean?”

“Ahh haa…..that was too diplomatic.”

“Okay…..ahhhmmmm…….what should I say just so that you let me sleep,” he hummed.

“Fuck you”

“Oh man…..I've been dying for that, Lily,” he laughed.

“Okay, bye.” I was about to hang up when he shouted.

“Okay, okay, stop. I'm sorry,” he said and continued, “Lily, you know that I know that you’ll be able to crack anything. I trust your capabilities and considering that you handled so many downs in your life, I know a meagre interview would be nothing. Don’t be nervous, you’ll do great. All the very best.”

I paused for awhile trying to sink in his voice into every ounce of my body. Goosebumps appeared soon as I took a long breath and smiled.

“That was all I needed” I responded mildly.

“Good” he said and resumed, “When are you supposed to visit their office?”

“10.30 Am” my voice shook as I walked here and there trying to find a place to stand at the bus stop.

“Ahhh…..,” he gasped and said, “Wish I could've dropped you in a cab and kissed you good luck.”

“You can do that now too, baby.”

He paused before saying, “Muaaahhhhh, I love you like jelly tots.”

I laughed and retorted, “I love you like tequila shots.”

And we both laughed our hearts out.

“Anyway, I should hang up now and let you sleep. I’ll see you at night, okay?” I said.