Chapter 9

I arrived at office in my best attire. It was the first of two days of shooting. Aryan looked cute as a button in a plaited red shirt, and blue denims. We were informed by Rohit that some local soap actress was hired to act in the advertisement. However what I was excited about was working with a bunch of kids. Ice creams and kids have an inevitable connection. One can’t be separated from another.

“Looking good,” Olivia smiled, scanning me from top to bottom.

“Thank you, so do you,” I answered even though I didn’t mean to complement her from my heart.

“Did you hear who has been hired?” she asked with an unreadable expression.

“Ahhmm….yeah, some Basu, right?” I stumbled.

“Ritika Basu, man! Haven’t you heard about her?” she was shocked.

“Nope, I don’t watch regional shows or anything at all,”

“Ohhhh…..so you’re those hi-fi show-off bitches who watches international stuff only to criticize Indian things?”

Blood coursed through my body straight into my brain. I didn’t understand what her problem was especially with me. I was carrying a very happy mood, and in no way I wanted to ruin that for her.

“I don’t know why I even hope to get normal behavior from you when you’re completely out of your mind,” I retorted, and turned on my heels to move towards Aryan whom I spotted standing a few distance away from me.

“Hey…..listen,” she was cut as I raised my hand demanding her to stop with her shit.

“Hey,” Aryan smiled from ear to ear seeing me. I ran, and hugged him.

“You look awesome,” he said after we pulled away.

“Thank you,” I smiled, and inquired, “Who is this Ritika Basu?”

Aryan told me to hush down before eyeing me at her right next him. Thankfully she didn’t listen to me. He gestured to tell that he himself doesn’t know who she is, and we laughed. I placed my hand on my mouth lest I get audible.

“Let’s all move to the set, c’mon, hurry up,” a man whose appearance reflected to be that of a director clapped, and informed.

Everyone emptied the office within another few minutes. When we reached the set that was deep into the alley adjacent to the lane where our office was located, Aryan and I were completely awe-struck. It was a proper big-fat Indian wedding arena with at most seven adorable kids roaming around wearing colorful garments. I smiled widely covering my mouth with my hands before running ahead and plunging myself into them.

It didn’t last long as the shooting started soon.

Aryan and I sat perched filled with extreme boredom on two chairs beside the director. The so-called ‘famous’ actress, Miss Babu took indefinite number of cuts that visibly irritated almost everyone. The guy who played her on-screen husband looked more like her puppy, and Aryan’s silly jokes on him made me crack up quite often. I could tell Rohit didn’t like it from his angry looks that he shot at us frequently.

Anyway, around 2.00 Pm we took lunch break. Aryan and I went to a nearby sandwich parlor that also served awesome fruit juices.

“What an out-of-the-world shitty day it has been,” Aryan said immersing his head in his hands.

“I agree,” I nodded.

“The public needs treatment for liking that bimbo’s work. What in the Jesus’s name was she doing? 32 cuts?” he threw his hands in the air.