Chapter 40

I ran up the stairs of Paradise, catching Kumar look at me with bewilderment.

"Anything happens, Lily madam?" he inquired, rising to his feet.

"Yeah, Niall and I have to go to the police station, now," I said, panting.

"Is Niall Sir in danger?" his eyes widened.

"Not yet," I tried to cut down my conversation with him.

I rang the doorbell some hundred times before I heard footsteps fast approaching the door. Niall stood befuddled before me, wearing gray sweatpants only.

"Put on some shirt, we need to be at the police station this instant," I pushed him away, and ran to our room without even opening my shoes.

"But why?" he screamed, jogging after me. I commenced to arrange some important stuff inside my handbag.

"Officer Frank called me up right after I left office. His investigators said that Aarav is planning another attack tonight. He still has retained possession of the gun, and might have acquired more weapons to make sure he finishes you this time," I retorted.

"So, what do we do now?" He opened the wardrobe, and drew a white tee.

"Officer Frank said they've a plan about an encounter which we'll know only after reaching the police station," I gasped, finishing arranging all the stuff. Niall just nodded, but I knew he was worried - more than his life, his anxiety was for me, and our baby.

"Are you in this with me?" I asked, strolling close to him, and taking his hands in mine.

"That's not even a question to ask, Lily," he shook his head.

"Then we're gonna end it today, you and I, we're gonna put an end to this," I smiled, signaling assurance.

"And if anything goes wrong, know that you, and our baby means the most to me, and I'll do anything required to keep you both safe."

"I don't wanna hear all these. All of us will be safe, I have faith in Jesus. Period," I asserted, and turned on my heel, taking my fiancé with me.

He grabbed his mobile and home keys from the centre table as we scurried out the door. On locking the door shut, we ran forward and down the stairs to finally hit the street. I brought Aryan's car with me, actually he was kind enough to let me take his car so, I demanded Niall to occupy the passenger's seat fast.

"Let me drive, Lily. You shouldn't take so much stress," he insisted.

"Niall, do you think I'm in any less stress right now?" he kept staring at me, not knowing what to reply. "I'm not, but you're still weak being just two days out of hospital so, let me drive. I promise I'll be fine," I closed the door of the car, and ran across the vehicle to occupy the passenger's seat.

On starting the car, I drove like a flying car, taking twists, and turns through the alleys. A mixture of angst, fear, and sadness pumped up my adrenalin to a whole new different level. I pictured Aarav before me, handcuffed, and being dragged inside the police van. I pictured him in jail, rotting slowly for all the horrible deeds he did to me and Niall. And I felt relieved if not happy. Probably that's called "hate," the one that my mother always told is very difficult to feel towards anyone. But I did feel it, I hated Aarav.

We reached the police station which was very close to Nightingale Hospital. I almost hopped down the car as Niall got down soberly from the other side. After locking the vehicle, we entered the police station. Two constables approached us as soon as they spotted us walking in.

"Are you Miss. Lily Thomson?" one of them asked.

"Yeah," I nodded.

"Officer Frank is waiting for you in his cabin. Come, I'll take you both," he said, and started walking to his left.