Chapter 2

I jumped up and sat on my bed as my mobile burst into song. I put the cover aside and clambered for it in half-opened eyes. After grasping the ringing machine, I noticed an unknown number flashing on the screen. I brought my eye-brows closer to each other and wriggled my eyes while trying to figure out who it can be. I checked from the mobile that it was 3.40 Am and that was enough for me to step down my bed.

Eighteen hours passed…….It has to be Niall.         

I swallowed as a small grin twirled up on my lips. Finally, I received the call.

“I so want to have some instant noodles,” said a voice, I was dying to hear.

I put my left hand on my chest as I threw my head back laughing in extreme joy. Tears filled my eyes instantaneously and I was frozen completely.

“No jokes, I’m serious. You don’t believe me?” He continued.

I was so very happy that words got stuck inside my throat. I didn’t even have the ability to speak out his name. Instead all I could do was make my weeping noises audible enough for him to listen.

“Okay, now tell me that you’ve tissue papers over there with you?” He chuckled.

“Shut up” I laughed in a broken voice.

“Phewwwww……..finally, a response,” he said and asked, “Have you stopped crying?”

“Yeahhh…..I…..I’m trying to.” I answered.

“Good because there is no point of crying. I’m not dead so I’ll call you every other moment, okay?”

“That was not at all funny, Niall.” I grumbled.

“Okay, sorry.” He laughed mildly and said, “I love you.”

The words calmed the deadly turmoil inside me as I let it sink into my body in every individual cell. It made me feel alive, strong and proud.

“I love you too.” I said it back after pausing for a few good seconds.

“When did you reach?” I inquired wiping the tears from my cheeks.

“Fifteen minutes before……I missed you hell lot.” He retorted in his known heavy voice.

I smiled on my own as I said, “You’re so far away from me, Niall. I can’t anymore tell you to come and pick me up for dinner.”

“Because soon, I’ll come and pick you up with me forever.”

“Shut up, would you?”

“Changed your mind so soon?”

“Niall?” My eyes became wide.

“What? Did you?” The chuckle was prominently audible in his voice.

“Yes” I shook my head trying to suppress a smile and then asked, “Where will you stay?”

The question welcomed an uncomfortable silence between us. I knew what he was thinking but I also knew what he wanted. And that was what I wanted as well. Therefore, hoping against hope, I waited for him to speak out his desire.

“With Greg” he answered slowly, his heavy voice lacking the usual depth.

I smiled biting my lower lip to retort, “I’m proud of you, darling. You’re going to do the right thing.”

“But this is just for the time being, I’m not going to thrive on his money for the rest of my life,” he sounded irritated as if I hurt his self-esteem.

“Of course, when did I say that ever?”

“Right……..I’m sorry.”

“Leave it…….who is coming to pick you up?” I inquired.

“I’m on my way, baby,” he smiled and interrogated,” Lily, you remember the promise you made right?”

“What promise?” I furrowed my eye-brows.

“About leaving your apartment and moving away from that son of a bitch, Aarav.” I sensed a severe anger in his voice that rumbled through my chest.

I swallowed, not knowing what to tell. I didn’t want to lie to him. The enormous distance between us was already a huge challenge. Lies would pile up the hurdles only. However, making a promise to him that I knew was not accomplishable didn’t feel right either. The only way left was to convince him. Tell him that with the financial support I currently have, leaving the apartment seems a not-so-intelligent idea. But how?

“Lily?” He called out my name, dragging me out from my deep thoughts.

“I don’t think I can do that immediately, Niall. I need time.” I almost whispered, fearing what his reply would be.

“What the fuck is your problem, woman? Why the hell don’t you understand that staying there would increase the chances of Aarav getting near you? I can’t even begin to say, Lily how badly I will explode if something happens to you in my absence,” he screamed as I plugged my left ear.

“Niall, how am I supposed to afford for some other apartment? I can’t pay more than 6000 rupees for rent and in that money; I can’t get the facilities that I have here. Tell me if you’ve a better option.” I kept my calm, attempting to bring his back as well.

“Did you even think about it? Why don’t you start looking? Ask people and something would surely come up. Please, just try, honey,” he pleaded.

“Nothing will happen to me. You’re worrying without any reason.” I continued with my attempts.

“No, I’m not. Aarav will eventually know that I’m not there and he will take advantage of that. Rita might be your best friend but she is his sister first. How do you know that she will stand up against him and not you? Mrs. Gandhi stays busy with her work all the time and whatever spare time she has, she offers that to her family obviously. In this situation, if something happens to you, can you imagine what I’ll go through being fucking thousands miles away? Lily, you need to listen to me. You’ve to take care if not for yourself then for me. I don’t want to lose you, I can’t see ‘us’ breaking down even after what we’ve been through,” his tone carried not only logic but immense care for me. I could actually feel the passion and anxiety that filled his heart right now. Turning him down, seemed a straight no. I was as equally interested in establishing my relationship with him as him. If changing apartments meant this much to him then let it be. I will. I love him and his peace and happiness mattered to me the most.

“Okay, I’ll shift.” I agreed like every time.

“Good, anyway you should sleep now. I’ll call you tomorrow morning.”

“Hmm” I hummed.

“Lily, this is the start of many phone calls and video chats and e-mails. Stick by me, okay?”

“Till the end.” I smiled.

“I love you”

“I love you too” I smiled wider as we both hung up.