Chapter 39: Early Returns

The next morning was a bit of a blur. 

My brothers were down at breakfast which was a little awkward. I think the whole family felt the tension but no one dared say anything about it. Luckily though it was a quick breakfast since everyone was getting their things ready and packed into the car. 

As much as I love the Lodge, I think I'm going to have to sit this one out. Things are too awkward between me and my brothers and our lack of communication would most likely just ruin the trip for everyone else. 

Mama says we should just push it aside for a few days but I can't just forget about it. Call me childish but I can't pretend it didn't happen. I don't want them thinking that I've forgiven them. I'm just too stubborn for my own good. 

I think I'm just going to go back to New York. There's no point in staying here since everyone's leaving anyway. Papa arranged for a flight to take me back tonight so I've got some time to just chill about. Everyone left about an hour ago, so it's just around 2pm right now. 

I decide to go to a little restaurant in the village for lunch. I used to love going there as a child. Whenever I had a bad day or was feeling down, mama would take me there. It's kind of like a tradition now, and this little restaurant must be one of the things I miss most about Italy. Besides my family obviously, although unlike my family it doesn't give me grief all the time. 

As I drive out of the estate, a single SUV follows behind me. There's probably only one guard inside since the risks are pretty small in this area. Everyone's too scared to do anything to any of us. I would honestly probably be alright without one but obviously Papa likes to take precautions.

I drive for a little bit into the village and park just outside of the small restaurant. I greet the seemingly new waiter as he takes me to a table and hands me a menu. Not that I need one. Already knowing that I'll have the lasagne, I put the menu down and look around the place. There are only a couple other people in here, that are so obviously trying not to look at me. Afraid I'll pull out a gun and shoot them if I catch them staring. Honestly people are very dramatic. Then again I can't really blame them since they're seen what my family's done.

The owner doesn't work on a Sunday so I won't even get to see her which is disappointing. She treats me like a granddaughter so I know she'll be quite upset when she finds out I was here and didn't get to see me. If circumstances were different, I probably would come and spent a whole day with her. Sunday's her family day so i wouldn't want to pull her away from that. I think i'll just leave her a little note after lunch.

The door opens, catching my attention and in strolls Franco. I roll my eyes. Of course, he's the one working today. He walks straight over to my table, and sits down across from me. 

"Can I help you?" I ask, leaning forward in my seat. He smirks at me. "Well, I figured we have a few uninterrupted hours before you leave again." He raises his eyebrows. I huff leaning back, "No." I say firmly. 

He scoffs, "Did you not have fun last night?" He asks cockily. I look at him in the eyes, squinting them a little. "You know I had fun." He smiles arrogantly at that. "But It can't happen again." His eyebrows furrow a that. As much as I enjoyed last night, it feels wrong now. I know I don't have any obligations to Jaxon but I think I need to fully get over him before sleeping with anyone else again. 

His eyes narrow as he looks like he's trying to figure something out. I just stare blankly at him trying not to give anything away. Unfortunately, though he knows me too well. "There's someone else isn't there." He smiles smugly at his observation, leaning back in his seat. I just roll my eyes. 

"Kind of." There's no point in denying it, he knows when I'm lying. "Complicated?" He questions with a look of understanding on his face. I just sigh, "Not really, I mean we were together then we broke up. It just didn't work out, We argued a lot but then when we weren't arguing everything felt perfect." I trail off, but quickly shake those feelings away, "I don't know we're just too similar but different at the same time." I explain a little. He just scoffs again. My eyes snap up to his, what the hell was that for?