Chapter 26: Territory

I ignored all calls and texts from my family for the next few days. I just don't have the energy to deal with them.

When I got back to New York I went straight to Jaxon's place. I could tell how worried he was and how badly he wanted to know what happened, but he respected the fact that I didn't want to talk about it. I've been back for a few days and still haven't really told him anything. It's not that I don't trust him, it's just that I'm still annoyed about the whole situation and know I'll end up losing my temper if I talk about it. It's just better for everyone if I have some more time to cool off.

Although I know I'll need to answer Papa's calls soon before he flies over here to talk to me in person. And we all know why that wouldn't be such a great idea.

Anyways It's currently our lunch break and I've decided to leave for lunch today since iv'e been craving a caramel Frappuccino all day.

The closest Starbucks is only a ten-minute drive away so Its easy enough to get to in the short amount of time that I have. I've already messaged Jaxon to let him know not to expect to see me in the lunch hall. Can't have him freaking out again.

When I get to starbucks I decide just to go through the drive through since I can't be arsed getting out of the car. Just as the girl hands me my drink through the window, my phone goes off, ringing through the car.

I go to decline it thinking it'll be Papa or one of the boys but stop when I realise that it's Alfonso.

This is the first time he's called me.

Fuck it.

Answer.

I don't say anything.

"Aleja?" his voice comes through the speakers.

"What is it?" I answer sharply, he just sighs, "I wanted to apologise."

I raise my eyebrows, "Go on then" I park in the car park to finish off this conversation since I have a feeling it will last more than the 10 minute drive back to school.

"I should've paid more attention to how she was acting and it's going to take a lot for me to forgive myself for that. It's just that we've all been stressed with preparing for Armano taking over. I've been really distracted and Papa's been giving us a lot of work lately. I'm sorry A."

I take a deep breath, Collisimo men don't apologise often. This would've taken a lot for him to do.

"It's not me you need to apologise to Fratello."

"I've apologised to Gia. We've spoken a lot about it and she knows how sorry I am." I can tell by his voice how sorry he is and how hard it must be for him to actually apologise, not once but twice. He knows he did wrong.

"Okay, I forgive you Alfie. Just please be careful in the future." I hear him sigh on the other line.

"How is Armano?" My oldest brother is set to take over the Italian Mafia in a few weeks, traditionally he would've taken over by now however my father was still fit to be the Don and everyone agreed to keep him in the position until now. Armano has been helping Papa with decisions though since he was 18. Unofficially, they've pretty much ran it together for the last few years.

"He's good, Mia's been really supportive through it all. She's helped everyone I think, Mama feels better about it all knowing that he's got her." Mia is Armano's wife. They got married a few years back and she's been like a big sister to us all.

"I'm glad she's there, I miss her."

"I know but you'll see her in a couple weeks anyway, not too far away." I nod my head despite knowing he can't see me. I'll need to make up with Papa before Armano's big day, I don't want him over stressing.