Chapter 46: Some Inspirational Words

We ended up going back to one of his hotels. No surprise there. I did however make sure we were up in time to go back to my apartment to get ready for the day. 

Jaxon drove back to his house where I picked up my car and went home to get changed out of last night's outfit.  I just told Jaxon I'd meet him at school since I didn't know how long I would take.

It didn't take me long to get ready so I had some time to get myself a Starbucks before school. As I got my stuff, which was really just my phone since I didn't take my bag out of the car from yesterday, I opened the door to reveal Franco leaving his apartment. We both just looked at each other, not really saying anything. He had a black eye that looked pretty bad and a split lip. I can't help but feel extremely guilty, this is all my fault. 

"Franco, I'm really sorry." I say sincerely, however receive a glare in return. "Just save it Alejandra. I've got nothing to say to you." Well, that hurt. He's never been this cold to me before.

"Okay I get that but I really am sorry. I didn't mean for any of this to happen." To that he scoffed humourlessly. "Come on Alejandra, you've never been fake. Don't start now" Instead of elaborating on that, he shakes his head and turns to lock his door. 

"Meaning?" I question. He spins back around a passive look on his face, "You don't need to pretend to care about me. I get it, I'm the ex-friends with benefits that showed up unexpectedly and unwanted in your life. I'll be your bodyguard from a distance but it's alright, you don't need to pretend anymore." He shrugs, then walks past me towards the elevator. I just stand there confused.

"I do care about you Franco. What has gotten into you?" I say offended at his accusation. He turns angrily back to me, suddenly looking extremely pissed off. 

"You don't care about anyone but yourself Alejandra. If you did, you wouldn't be doing this." Now it's my turn to get angry. I let him have his moment yesterday, but I'm not going to put up with it any longer. 

"How dare you say that. If I didn't care about anyone then I wouldn't be hiding my relationship. I wouldn't have to sneak around with the man I love. I constantly have to lie to my family and it breaks my heart every time. The only reason I'm doing that is because I don't want a war to break out. So many people will die if we don't handle this properly, so please tell me how that is selfish." I say defensively. Franco however doesn't back down. 

"Your lies have consequences for everyone around you. And I'm not just talking about you or Jaxon, I'm talking about me and Gabriel and everyone else who's trying to keep your ass safe." He rages walking back towards me. "Say for arguments sake you do manage to find a peaceful solution to your problem. You talk things out with your father and no war starts. Someone still has to take the blame. Do you really think your father or brother are going to just forget about the fact that we let this happen? They trusted us to keep you safe yet instead you end up in the arms or their biggest fucking enemy. That's on us. Not to mention the fact that I know about it and failed to tell them or Gabriel. I'm purposely withholding information from them Alejandra, they could kill me for that." Okay so I get where he's coming from but I can protect them.

"Gabriel already knows and I appreciate the risk that you guys are taking. I can protect you when it all comes out, I won't let them kill you. My brother will understand." I reassure him. 

"Great so Gabriel is just as fucked as me." He mutters running a hand down his face in irritation. "You can't save us Alejandra. Even if they don't kill us, they won't ever trust us again. And they can't have members they don't trust. We've signed Omertà already so they'll let us go. Then we won't have the protection of the mafia anymore and I'm betting there's plenty of people out there with a grudge against your family. Your brother might not be the one to do it but either way, we're dead men." Before I can say anything, the elevator doors open. We both turn to see who it is.