Chapter 31 - Scripts

I made my way slowly to the meeting room, checking my reflection in every reflective surface there was - not because I was being vain but because I knew all too well just how tired and run down I looked today. Roman and I had stayed up talking and laughing, watching films and cuddling late into the night. I didn't want to sleep because it was time wasted with him there. I didn't want to leave him either to come here, yet here I was. I gripped my coffee tightly in my hand as if the coffee was feeding directly into my palm as I shuffled into the room, noticing everyone was already seated. I double checked the time. I still had one minute left.

"Hey girl!" Paige stood up and held her arms out for a hug. I hugged her quickly and carefully to ensure my coffee wasn't spilt and smiled back at her.

"You alright Paige?"

"Better than you. Looks like someone spent too much time with Roman last night." She giggled, winking at me. I remained speechless, unsure on how to answer that without upsetting someone.

"Hi Dean." I changed the subject, walking towards him and hugging him as he stood up.

"Hey Lucy. Your face looks a lot better!" He smiled, referring to my kendo stick injury.

"Thank you!" I replied. "Although I think a lot of it is just because I'm getting better at hiding it with makeup." I walked over to Seth and noticed him look away from me as soon as my gaze met his. He obviously didn't want a hug. "Hi Seth." I said, trying to be polite.

"Hi." He said shortly, looking at me and away from me in seconds. Mark walked in the door holding the scripts and sat down, a huge proud smile on his face. I put my coffee on the table beside me and focussed on what Mark had to say.

"Morning everyone." We all greeted him as he handed out the scripts. "Ok, I have to rush to an important meeting but you guys can stay here and start the reading if you want. I called each of you yesterday so you gave a rough idea of what the storyline is but read through it and get a grips with it because in two weeks’ time it’s going live." We all stared wide-eyed at him.

"Two weeks?" Paige asked. "We have two weeks to learn all this?" She flicked across the pages quickly. He obviously didn’t want to mention that when he spoke to us on the phone!

"Yes. So let’s start now." Mark said. "Sorry to rush off, I have to go now. Bye guys." We all stared blankly at him, unable to string words together as we exchanged glances at each other and down at the huge book of what we had to learn. He exited the room even quicker than he had entered – probably to make sure he couldn’t throw these folders at him.

"Alright, let’s just get it started and do it now." Dean said, opening the first page. Paige and I opened ours to the first page too but Seth didn’t.

"Look, I promised to meet the guys at the gym. How long am I meant to be here?" Seth rolled his eyes after checking the time.

"Seth, this is very important! We don't have long to learn it!" Paige emphasised. "Look, if you're pushed for time, let’s split up and just practice the parts that are together in our tag teams, we can get together tomorrow or the next day to put it all together." Seth nodded quickly, probably just liking the idea we weren't going to have to spend much time doing this today. Paige and Dean grabbed their chairs and moved them to the other side of the room and sat facing each other, opening their scripts and finding the first part they could practice.

"Shall we start?" I asked, opening my script and reading over my first few lines. Well, it did sound pretty good so far! By the sound of it, we were going to take this crowd by storm. They were going to be a lucky bunch to see this in person!

"Not really." Seth said flatly. I looked up at him with an eyebrow raised.

"Why?" What was Seth’s problem today?

“You.” He said, avoiding eye contact with me by looking through the script on his lap.

“Me?” I placed my hand on my chest and looked at him in disbelief.

“Yeah, coming in here like you’re Queen Bee boasting about your sex life.” If I had been sipping my coffee (or water like last time) I’d have spat it out in shock and astonishment. He’s got every wrong end of this that he could have! It wasn’t meant to be like that at all!

“No, Seth.” I shook my head, still stunned at his outburst.

“Really? Arriving sluggishly with a coffee to shove down our throats that you were tired and then making Paige say that so we all knew what you’d been up to last night. I didn’t think you were like that Lucy.” It was Seth’s turn to shake his head this time and I couldn’t even string a sentence together. For a few seconds I gawped at him, my jaw to the floor and my eyes wide just trying to think of something I could say back to that. I stuttered and stumbled over my words but I couldn’t find the right thing to say. “Exactly. Truth hurts Lucy.”

“I didn’t sleep with him!” I whispered, just managing to put that sentence together to prove my innocence. I looked back to Paige and Dean to see if they’d heard the commotion but they were happily in their own world. “What kind of person do you think I am?” This time my voice was stronger and more confident, but I still kept the tone quiet and low. Seth scratched his head as he thought about how to answer me.

“What?”

“I. Didn’t. Sleep. With. Him.” I said slowly to make sure he understood. “Now can we get on with this bloody script?” Seth bit his lips together to hide a smirk. He sniggered quietly, still trying to contain it. “What?” I huffed.

“You said ‘bloody’. It made you sound really English!” He said with a smile. “It was funny.”

“Yeah, laugh it up.” I said, harshly. He’d wound me up with all those accusations only seconds ago  and he’s now acting like that never happened? What’s going on? Seth’s smile dropped when he heard my cruel words and a pang of guilt hit me.

“I’m sorry Lucy. I thought… It’s just…” Now it was Seth’s turn to stutter and stumble over his words. It was quite cute actually, the way he was deep in thought trying to work out what to say but his body language was showing he was nervous. He tutted and sighed, running his fingers through his hair. “Shall we just go through the script?” I nodded in agreement and we opened it at the first page, flicking through and just reading our lines to each other. It seemed like this storyline was going to keep us all in the public eye and on TV screens for a few shows; it began on Raw, carried on across Smackdown and then returned to Raw again.

“This is pretty good!” Seth said as we finished reading a backstage scene for Smackdown.

“I know. No wonder Mark was smiling so much!” I laughed as I turned the page but the smile was wiped off my face no quicker than two lines down on that page.

‘Seth kisses Lucy.’