Chapter 9 - Getting It Wrong

After a quick drive home from the stadium which actually took a good hour because of traffic, I finally arrived home and rushed in to get ready. I pulled out my favourite skin-tight navy blue knee length dress with spaghetti straps and paired it with my favourite black heels that had a strap across the ankle. I got out all my favourite and most expensive makeup and perfume and spent the next hour making myself beautiful, adding false lashes and curling my hair as a final touch to this. I'd text Roman my address before we'd left the arena and had been told Dean would text when they were near so I knew how much time I had left to get ready. I looked at myself in the mirror and thought about how only a few years ago I was a nobody from a small town and now I was here, in America, dressed up to go to a party with all the WWE superstars and Divas. I had made it.

My phone vibrated violently on the table and I ran over to it - as best I could with those heels on - and answered it.

"Hello." I said, instantly regretting not looking at the caller id. I pulled the phone away from my ear and noticed I'd answered a call from Seth. "Oh hey Seth, you ok?" I heard someone scoff at the other end of the phone.

"Who even are you?" A female's voice spat down the phone. Whoever it was, she didn't sound like she liked me.

"Who are you?" I retaliated. "This is Seth's phone."

"I'm Seth's girlfriend, you know, the one who had to read about you trying it on with him on twitter!" She hissed. My heart sunk suddenly and the lasting tingling affect made its way through my body. Guilt had filled me yet I had a clear conscience. How do I get out of this?

"I didn't try anything on with anyone." I said, trying to stay calm and not raise my voice at someone I was likely to meet face to face later today. Images played round in my head of there being a fight or argument between us, not that I wanted that at all, but by the way she spoke she was definitely a lady on a mission.

"Well just so you know, I'm at this party tonight. Seth already told me you were going so just be prepared to see him with the girl he actually likes." The jealousy in her voice was intense. She made it sound like she was fighting for him yet I was there happily trying to keep them both away from me.

“That’s fine. I never wanted him.” I said to her but my brain went into overload. There were traits of his I really liked and I found it so easy to talk and be around him but it was the same with Roman and Dean. I felt like a child again where my feelings of having a guy friend were clouded with wondering if they fancied me or if I fancied them.

“What are you saying? He’s not attractive?” She spat down the phone to me. I’d really dug myself a hole here. If I said no she’d accuse me of fancying him but if I didn’t she’d probably tell him I think he’s repulsive.

“I’m not saying that but-”

“So you’re saying you like him?” She interrupted. I rolled my eyes. This was going nowhere.

“No.” I said bluntly. “Can someone not just have a guy as a friend without their girlfriend jumping down their throat? I have a call I’m actually waiting to receive so…” There was silence on the phone for a second and I heard Seth’s voice say ‘Babe, who are you on the phone to?’. She hung up immediately and only seconds later my phone buzzed again and it was Dean.

“Hello?” I tried to sound like myself, hiding the anger and frustration that last call had made me feel.

“You alright, Lucy? We’ve been outside for like ten minutes and you never replied.” Dean sounded a little concerned.

“I’m fine. I’ll be down in a second to fill you two in on the gossip.” I laughed and hung up. I grabbed my little navy blue clutch bag and put my phone, keys, perfume and lipstick in it and sped out of the door, locking it quickly and making my way down the grubby concrete stairs to the black 4X4 that was waiting outside. I could tell it was drawing attention from passers-by so swiftly flew into the back and told them to start driving before I’d even put my seatbelt on.

“What have you done this time?” Roman laughed. “Dean said there was gossip to catch up on. You’ve only been away from us for a few hours!”

“I answered my phone.” I said innocently. Roman and Dean exchanged confused glances as they waited for me to expand on my story. “I just ran over to it and answered it without checking the caller ID. I thought I’d take a quick look before they started speaking to me in case it was Mark or someone important and it was Seth.”

“What did he want this time?” Roman said bluntly.

“Probably telling her she couldn’t come to the party.” Dean answered.

“No, that was the problem.” I said with a laugh. “I expected that but instead I got his girlfriend screaming down the phone at me.”

“Screaming about what?” Dean asked, turning round to look at me face on as I continued my story.

“Seth told her I was going to the party and she was saying I needed to keep my hands off him and that I will see how a proper couple look.” I rolled my eyes again as I thought about what she’d said. He was a great guy but definitely not great enough to ruin a working relationship for – plus I’m just not that kind of person.

“That’s utter bullsh-” Roman cut himself off. “She’s the one believing everything she read on twitter!”  He shook his head as he drove. “Just wait til I get a quiet moment with them…” Dean nodded in agreement as if he knew they were thinking the same thing. Whatever it was, I didn’t want it to happen.

“No guys, honestly it’s fine.” I said. “I’ve only just made my debut, I don’t want to be in the news for the wrong reasons. I’m going to be the bigger person and just be me and pretend she’s not there.”

“If it kicks off though, we’ll be there to help you.” Dean winked. “You look great by the way.” He said suddenly.

“Thanks!” I blushed. “I haven’t seen what you guys are wearing but I’m sure you look great too!” I laughed. Roman pulled up outside a very fancy hot spot of the town.

“Here we are.” He said. We all looked out the window to this bar/club with huge bouncers on the door. They were holding clipboards so I assumed if you weren’t on the list you weren’t coming in – which means it’s a club for the rich and famous.

“Oh God.” I said, gulping down nerves and fear. I wanted to go in there, make friends with everyone and come out a better, stronger part of the WWE family but something was telling me it wouldn’t happen like that at all.

“You’ll be fine! Come on.” Roman said as he got out of the car. Dean quickly followed suit as Roman opened the car door for me and helped me out. Trust me to wear a tight dress when I have to jump out of a huge car! After the struggle of getting out without flashing to all the cameras and fans waiting outside, we signed some autographs, took some photos and made our way towards the bouncer who ticked our names off of the list and let us in.