Chapter 7 - Learning Lines

My alarm clock buzzed loudly by my ear and I nearly jumped out of my skin. Slamming my hand on the snooze button, I rubbed my eyes and looked at the time. 5am. Great! Every part of my body was crying at me to go back to sleep but I knew I couldn’t, I needed to get ready, train hard and learn this storyline good enough to prove them all wrong. As soon as I remembered the reason I was up so early, my body was buzzing. I couldn’t wait to be there; standing on that stage, delivering my lines and fighting my way into people’s memories. I wanted to be remembered.

I jumped out of bed and ran to the shower – every minute that passed was a minute less that I could be perfecting my character. After washing and running a razor over my body to make sure I looked doubly as perfect, I jumped out of the shower, creamed my skin and got dressed. I put on my makeup and blow-dried my hair, brushed my teeth and hair, sprayed my deodorant and perfume and I was ready. I grabbed my phone without even glancing down at it as I turned my alarm clock off and rushed out of the door, grabbing the food I had prepared for myself late last night as I ran out of my house and to my car. Finally sitting down in the driver’s seat to catch a breath, I looked down at my phone to double check the time. 5:45am. Not bad. I realised at the bottom of the screen I had a notification that I had received 10 text messages and 3 missed calls. I opened up the call log and saw that Dean and Seth had called me, Dean calling me twice. I closed that and opened my messages, all of them from Seth, Dean and Roman asking where I was and if I was ok. One that caught my eye was from Seth and it began ‘Look I’m sorry that I said those things…’ I daren’t open it now and ruin the mind-set I’ve got into. I put my phone on the passenger seat and started my journey to the arena. Mark had sent me the directions by the time I’d got home last night and I studied them to make sure I’d get there on time, if not early. I could feel the nerves beginning to build up as I thought about what storyline I could possibly do as well as another Diva who had been in the business a lot longer than me. I knew it wouldn’t be a front page storyline but anything was better than nothing for me and I had to say yes to keep management happy – after all what would be the point of me wrestling if I never did a storyline and never took the risk? I’d spent ages perfecting my body, cutting out foods and drinks I liked and cutting down my social meet ups because they were only holding my progression back. I wasn’t going to do all that for nothing.

I arrived at the arena as the sun began to pierce through the clouds in the sky. I cried inside as I realised I was up and awake while the sun was rising. This wasn’t something I was so happy with! I parked my car, grabbed my phone and my pre-packed suitcase and strolled into the arena, heading towards the reception. I’d never been in this arena before and I didn’t want to get lost strolling around trying to find my way to Mark or the changing rooms.

“Hi!” I smiled at the tired looked security guard. It looked like it took a lot of effort to lift his gaze to meet mine. The bags under his eyes showing me he hadn’t had much of interest happen at this time of the day. I could hear a lot of clanging in the back ground and knew the ‘construction team’ were setting up the arena for today’s show. “I’m looking for Mark? Or the female changing rooms? Whichever is less confusing.” I let out a small laugh but the security guard looked unimpressed. I pulled out my ID badge and showed it to him. He pointed over to a book I had to sign to say I had arrived and stood up, looking like he was ready to sleep then and there.

“Go down this corridor, second door on the left.” He said, pressing a button to allow me through the security door. I thanked him and smiled again as I wheeled my suitcase down the corridor and got to the second room on the left. The female changing room. I pushed the door open with my bum as I yanked my suitcase across the carpeted floor and onto the wood of the changing room floors. The carpet made it excessively difficult to wheel a suitcase and I knew from then on to just carry it around unless I felt like I needed another work out. I stumbled through the doorway as the wooden floor was so much easier to move about on and I parked my suitcase at the side, unzipping my coat and hanging it up. I noticed another person’s coat there but thought nothing of it.

“Excuse me.” A voice said from behind me as I bent down to unzip my suitcase and pull my wrestling gear out. I looked up and saw a woman standing over me with her arms crossed, looking down at me with her eyebrows raised and her lips pursed.

“Can I help you?” I said as nicely as I could when someone was bearing down on me.

“Can you help me? Can I help you?” She emphasised. “I’m trying to get ready here. This changing room is for the female wrestling talent.” I rolled my eyes and stood up, pulling my wrestling gear out of my suitcase.

“I’m in the right place then. Who are you?” She looked shocked as she studied my outfit. She was wearing a long coat that she’d pulled tightly around her as she spoke to me. She pulled it open to reveal her wrestling gear. It was a gothic piece, dark red and black mainly with some netting and skull designs. It contrasted massively with her porcelain skin, pale and flawless. Her hair was quite long and was also black.

“My name is Paige. Who are you?” She pulled her coat around her again tightly. “God, it’s freezing in here.” Still in my jumper and jeans, I couldn’t feel it but I could tell she wasn’t feeling comfortable in this temperature.

“My name is Lucy. I’ve just moved up from NXT. Mark asked me to come in early for a story because someone called Tamina is injured?” Paige’s face dropped instantly and she fidgeted awkwardly.

“Excuse me a second…” She said as she walked out of the changing room without a second glance. Is this the Paige who Dean was talking about yesterday? Is it too early to ask? I took the time she was gone as a perfect opportunity to get my gear on; my black long-sleeved crop top and my green combat trousers. I laced up my boots and looked down at myself. The butterflies I’d felt when I went to do my first match with Frenzy had come back and I felt like an excited little girl about to go to a theme park. The door swung open again and Paige walked back in.

“Everything alright?” I said concerned, Paige still looking a bit shocked.

“Yeah… Well, no…” She stammered. “We’ve got a show tonight and they’ve given you the job of learning our whole storyline in one day?” Of course it’d be yet another person not trusting that I can actually do well.

“I know, I was a bit shocked too but don’t worry. Mark and I spoke about it yesterday and I’m feeling pretty confident. Let’s just go at it and do our best.” I smiled confidently.

“Yeah, I will do my best.” Paige said as if she knew I wasn’t going to be very good at it. “Anyway, this is all time we could be learning. Mark’s waiting for us.” She turned and walked out of the room again and I shuffled out behind her, suddenly feeling not so confident.

“Paige! Lucy! It’s so good to see you both!” Mark grinned as he handed us our script for the storyline. Paige flashed him a look of discomfort.

“Mark, is this really a good idea? I mean one day isn’t long enough for her surely?” Paige daren’t make eye contact with me as she tried to convince him I was no good.

“Paige, this storyline can’t be put off any more and we thought Lucy would be the best person for it. Don’t let her newbie status fool you, she’s quick to learn and skilled in the ring… Trust me.” Mark nodded at me with an assertive smile on his face.

“I do.” Paige said, looking round at me. “It’s not that I think she’s rubbish, I just think about what I was like when I first started and I wouldn’t have been ready for this.” She offered me a small smile. “But let’s just see how it goes…”

We began to read through the plot of our small storyline and I was impressed, this was going to be a good one and I couldn’t wait for everyone at Smackdown to see it!