Chapter 33 - Playing the Part

*** TWO WEEKS LATER***

"How are you feeling?" Dean asked as he stood with Paige and I backstage. We'd been told our fight was next and as we all stood listening to the crowd cheering Cesaro and Tyson Kidd vs The Ascension, I could feel my heart beating in my ears.

"I'm terrified." I said honestly, twiddling my fingers in anxiety. Nothing could prepare me for this. No amount of training was going to help me conquer these nerves. My limbs were shaking. I could barely stand.

"I'd be fine if I knew where the hell Seth was!" Paige said, looking to her left and right. "He does know this won’t work without him?" I pictured myself stood on the stage with Dean squaring up to me and no music sounding, no Seth running out to help me. This wasn't going to go down well. I swallowed that horrible feeling down just as a stagehand walked up.

"Two minutes guys." He said, holding his earpiece like it was treasure. He must have been new. He walked off without another word.

"Seth's been acting really strange regarding this storyline." Dean carried on our conversation. "I mean when we all met to practice he was really half-assed with it."

"Yeah I noticed that too!" Paige said. "Have you guys practiced your backstage bit for Smackdown?" My mind wandered to our attempt of practicing that backstage part and talking about the kiss.

***

"What do you mean 'take this seriously'?" Seth said, anger in his voice despite trying to act calm.

"You're not even bothering!" I said back. "You look like you'd rather be elsewhere."

"I would like to be elsewhere!" Seth said, to which my jaw dropped. "How can I practice this scene when I know damn well Roman is going to split me in half after it? He isn't happy!" He had a very good point. Roman had threatened him down the phone and said if he even looked at me the wrong way there would be trouble, yet here we are trying to rehearse a scene where he is meant to kiss me. It’s not meant to be a loving kiss though, just an 'I'm doing this to annoy everyone and prove a point' kiss.

"I told him not to do that." I shook my head in disbelief. "Roman hates this storyline." Roman kept going on about it for days. He hated the idea as soon as he'd read it and called everyone he could think of to tell them he didn't like it. It was embarrassing.

"Yeah I gathered that when he barked orders down the phone at me." Seth said, rolling his eyes and folding his arms across his chest.

"I'm sorry about him." I said, not knowing what to say. "I was telling him to get off the phone to you but he wasn't having it. He said I was sticking up for you." I shrugged. It looks like we aren't going to be practicing the script that much today. Once again we were in a room together, gazing at each other with a weirdly nice tension between us.

"I heard you." Seth said with a half-assed laugh. "I hated that he didn't listen to you." My heart skipped a beat and my breath hitched. I shouldn't be having these kind of feelings towards Seth but somehow we always ended up like this with each other.

"Its fine. He had things on his mind. He's about to see me kiss you live on TV for everyone to see." I said, nerves squeezing and tugging at my stomach.

"Well when you say it like that..." He said, nodding in agreement. "We'd best practice the day away." He said with a half-smile.

***

"Yeah, its gone pretty well so far." I said, recovering from my dream state to see Paige and Dean staring at me, awaiting an answer. "We're quite confident with it."

"How's Roman taking it?" Dean asked carefully. I shook my head.

"Not well at all." I said, thinking about his reaction to first reading it. "He's warned Seth, had a go at the Creative team and moaned to just about everyone that they even wrote me into a storyline like that." Paige and Dean shook their heads. "But I can't blame him. He's about to see his girlfriend kiss his friend knowing its going out live on TV."