Chapter 25 - Ruined.

“He must like you or something!” Rosa said, Paige nodding in agreement. “Otherwise he wouldn’t have been so upset that you and Roman kissed.” I shook my head. That can’t be true. He had Leighla and this other girl!

“I think so too. I mean he was always cautious around you at the beginning like when he called you a newbie and said you wouldn’t fit in at that party – I reckon it was because he wanted it to seem like he didn’t like you because he was really falling for you.” Paige said as if she was the ‘All-Knowing’. I shook my head again.

“Nah. He has Leighla and told me about another girl he liked too.” I slapped my hand over my mouth. “But you can’t tell anyone about that!”

“Another girl? You mean YOU!” Paige said as if it was common knowledge.

“No not me. He was asking me for advice about whether or not he should ask this other girl out but he wasn’t sure if she liked him back.” I said, knowing I shouldn’t really be telling them about his problems. Right now, though, I need as much help as I can get!

“Did he ever describe her?” Rosa asked but I shook my head. Come to think of it he never told me or showed me pictures. “Exactly. Because it was you.”

“You guys are crazy. We’ve only just become friends and-”

“Did he run to your aid when Roman left after the party?” Paige interrupted. “Yes. He left his GIRLFRIEND to come and make sure you were ok.” The more they spoke about it, the more it seemed feasible. Maybe he did have a thing for me? No. That’s impossible. I’m completely different to Leighla, I’m not as pretty and definitely not as talented as her!

“Go and ask some of the Superstars, maybe he’s spoken to them about you and-” Rosa stopped mid-sentence as the door swung open and Seth stood in the doorway, his body tensed as he shot daggers at me. Roman stood behind him looking sheepish.

“Hi Seth.” I gulped down the terror that filled my body and tried to act normal. The truth was that I was scared. Very scared.

“Don’t ‘Hi Seth’ me like nothing is wrong.” He spat. I looked away from him and towards Paige and Rosa who were wishing they could have been anywhere but here.

“I don’t know what is wrong!” I said, hoping he would take the time to tell me what’s got him so wound up. Roman stayed quiet behind him looking nervous. Something bad was going to go down.

“Call Dean.” I heard Rosa whisper to Paige as she snuck her phone out of her pocket and dialled Dean’s number.

“I’ll tell you what’s wrong shall I?” Seth began as he stepped further into the room and closer to me. “My brother here comes in here to discuss my feelings for you and you kiss him. That’s what’s wrong!” He gestured violently as he spoke.

“But I-” I tried to speak but he wouldn’t let me. He was on a roll now and everything he was feeling was going to be voiced whether I liked it or not. That wasn’t what happened at all!

“You didn’t even give it an hour or two or pull him to one side and tell him. You knew I was only down the corridor and you just wanted to get the truth out there in the harshest way possible.”

“Seth,  I-”

“I don’t want to hear ‘I’m sorry’ or ‘It wasn’t meant to be like that’ because it was. He came in here to help me and you threw it all in my face!” He continued. I could barely breathe. Roman lied to him? Roman would rather Seth stormed in here and shouted at me than told him the truth?

“Seth-” I felt deflated. I barely had enough energy to shut him up and tell him the truth.

“Just save it, yeah? I told him I was coming to put you in your place and I will! Next time just come and tell me you’re not interested, ok? I’d much rather that than putting my relationship with my brother and work mate at risk. If you like him that’s fine, but I don’t need to see public displays of affection.” Seth continued. His face was red and his breathing heavy.

“I-”

“Let me repeat it one more time for you. ‘Seth, I’m sorry but I don’t like you in that way. I have feelings for Roman. I’m so sorry.’ That would have been better ok? You didn’t have to grab Roman and-” I stopped listening. My mind was spinning with everything that he was saying and everything Roman had said before. How could he lie like that? Why put me in the spotlight and make me look like the bad guy after everything I’ve done for him? After being an agony aunt to those two idiots I’ve landed myself in this perfect scenario. Come on Lucy, just use that energy to shout at him and get him to shut up. YOU tell the truth.

“WILL YOU JUST SHUT UP FOR ONE SECOND?” Seth was silenced instantly and the room was quiet enough to hear a pin drop. “I have two things to say and I’m going to say them without any interruption and then I want everyone to leave MY room and let me sit here in peace, ok?” Everyone nodded.

“It’s going down!” Paige whispered to Rosa with a smirk on her face.

“Number one – Roman.” Everyone, including Seth looked round to him. “Why do you feel the need to lie? You know damn well what happened and you thought it’d be better to lie to Seth and make me look like the bad guy?” Seth looked confusedly at him and then back at me.

“Number two – Seth.” The girl’s gazes moved to Seth, but Roman’s stayed on the floor. “I’ll tell you the truth. Roman came in here and-” Roman grabbed Seth by the back of his jumper and pulled him out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him, separating us from them. I could hear raised voices at the other side of the door but I couldn’t hear what was being said. Why was Roman so adamant for him not to know the truth? What was going on in his head?
The door swung open again and it was Roman, standing alone.

“Can you guys give us a minute?” He looked over to Paige and Rosa, who got up and shot out of the door quicker than I’d ever seen. Roman shut the door behind him and locked it, taking a seat on the sofa again.

“Lucy, I-” I didn’t give him the chance to start. I wanted my answers and I wanted them now.

“What the hell, Roman? After everything, you leave me here and walk off to tell Seth a bunch of lies?” I said, my body tensed as I tried not to shout at him and tear him apart.

“I’m sorry, Lucy. I had to say it! I did it to save our jobs!” Roman said. He reached for my hands to hold but I pulled them away from him and moved down the sofa.

“To save your jobs?” I asked quizzically.

“Yes. Mark warned us already after Dean and Seth’s altercation in the ring but he let it slip. If Seth knew the truth he wouldn’t want to be anywhere near me and then Mark would pull us in and probably fire us!” Roman said, hoping I would understand his view.

“So you completely lied and turned it around on me? I said, trying to make him realise what a huge mistake he had made.

“It was the only thing I could think of at the time.”

“So what do you want me to do? Pretend for the rest of my working career that I kissed you and lose a friend in Seth and probably Dean OR tell the truth and get you into trouble?” I said, feeling like I had no choice in this at all.

“I need you to lie.” Roman said, looking deep into my eyes. “Please. I beg of you. We’re doing so well, we’ve made it into every live show! I can’t lose The Shield.”

“You cant, but I will.” I shook my head. I got up from the sofa and walked towards the door, unlocking it and pulling it open.

“What?”

“The only way this is going to work is if I don’t speak to any of you again, then I’m not hurting anyone. If I continue to be with you, I’ll hurt Seth and in turn he’ll get slowly more annoyed at you and if I talk to Seth and accidently let the truth slip, I’ve hurt you all and you’ll lose your jobs. I’m not going to walk around with that kind of weight on my shoulders.” I said as I walked out of the door, holding back the tears. I’ve just lost the three people that helped me from the start.