Chapter 34 - Pride

“That was amazing!” Mark had found the four of us on our way to the canteen after getting dressed into normal clothing. The adrenaline was still pumping through my veins and the smile I had on my face wouldn’t budge. I’d just completed a thousand life dreams at once; I’d done a live show, which happened to be Raw, I’d not messed up my lines, I’d been involved in a storyline that would carry on for a few weeks, I’d acted with a Superstar, I’m involved in a storyline with three of the most popular wrestlers at this current time and I was now gaining air time like you wouldn’t believe.

“Thanks Mark!” Paige smiled. We walked up to the buffet and picked our meals out, the chef scooping the meal out into a bowl or plate and handing it back to us. We got everything we wanted and made our way to a table at the back of the canteen, nerves taking over as I noticed Mark was still walking with us. He obviously needed to tell us something.  I caught Paige's eye and hinted at her to look behind her and notice Mark still trudging behind us. She noticed and instantly gestured at Dean to look too. We all sat down and awkwardly waited for Mark to begin whatever he wanted to say that meant he had to follow us and sit with us at lunch. I couldn’t touch my food until he’d spoken. I felt too sick at the moment.

"Well done guys!" Mark said, a grin appearing as soon as he spoke. "I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the script to be aired over the next week." We all smiled at each other. "But Seth, you nearly gave us all a heart attack when you didn't turn up backstage!" Everyone's eyes were suddenly on him and he hated it. Mark looked particularly livid as Seth grew a small smirk which he quickly hid as soon as he locked onto Mark’s narrowing eyes.

"I was busy." He said quickly. I could see everyone look at him disapprovingly. He wasn't going to get away with this so easily, Mark was worried and so were we. I was sure I was going to be stood up!

"Busy?" Paige said with an eyebrow raised. All the happiness we were sharing a minute ago had fizzled out, we were all now trying to get answers out of a guy who spent his time making it difficult for people to know much about him.

“Well, let’s hope it was something important!” Dean spat, glaring at him like Seth was dirt.

“Does it matter?” I snapped to everyone’s surprise. “He turned up didn’t he?” I could feel Seth’s eyes on me but I didn’t want to look. I didn’t want to give the others the wrong impression and I didn’t want to get caught up in yet another one of those tense yet perfect moments with him. “I just wanted to sit here and enjoy the fact we killed it out there, is that so much to ask?” I said, trying to justify my outburst.

“Lucy’s right.” Mark said with a smile. “What I came over here to tell you four was that your match was trending worldwide almost instantly! We’ve not had a reaction like that for a while! Keep it up, keep practicing and this storyline might continue after TLC!” Mark stood up proudly and said his goodbyes, walking off without another word. Paige got her phone out and flicked through her social media sites, her face lighting up as she read the good reviews.

“Not seen a storyline like that in a while. Looking forward to Smackdown.” She read out from Twitter. “Paige and Lucy killed it. Bring on the mixed tag matches!” She scrolled down some more. “Normally the first to complain about contract signings but that was awesome.” She put her phone down on the table.

“Looks like we did pretty well!” Dean joked, putting an arm around Paige and giving her a kiss on the cheek.

“I like how they brought the real life relationships into it.” Seth read from his phone. “Seth and Dean really looked like they hated each other.” Seth put his phone back in his pocket. For some reason he enjoyed being a killjoy and sucking the happiness out of us like a mood hoover. We ate our food quickly to make it seem like there was a reason for the awkward silence that had engulfed our table. Dean finished first, followed by Paige. He took both their plates and left the table to give them to the Catering staff.

“What’s up with you recently, Seth?” Paige said, waiting until Dean was out of earshot.

“Nothing.” He said, sighing. “Does there always have to be something wrong? I’m not like you two.” He said, referring to Paige and Dean’s dramatic relationship. I sensed Paige felt hurt by that comment and wanted desperately to come up with something I could say back that would make Paige feel better but to my surprise, she got there before me.

“I think your love life is more dramatic than mine.” Paige said, rudely. I took a sip of my water to try and hide how awkward I felt. “How are you and Leighla by the way?” She waited for his reply with a smirk on her face. Seth gritted his teeth and for a second I could have sworn I’d seen his chin quiver.

“We’re on a break.” I choked on my water, which seemed to be a habit of mine and drew attention from the whole canteen.

“Excuse me a second.” I gasped, standing up quickly, grabbing my water bottle and walking out of the room. I walked round the corner and sat on a chair, taking a deep breath and another sip of water to calm myself down.

“You ok?” I looked up to see Seth standing in front of me, a look of concern on his face.

“Yeah.” I managed to croak out, taking another sip of water.

“Was that because I…?” He couldn’t finish his sentence.

“I didn’t know.” I said, knowing exactly what he was talking about. I could tell he was hurting. “Last time I spoke to you properly, you’d said everything was fine.” I desperately wanted to ask what had happened and when, but I knew it wasn’t my place to ask right now.

“She read the script.” My stomach dropped and I let out a lifeless breath. I bit my bottom lip to hide my feelings as he continued. “She read it while I was in the shower and when I came out she went off on one. At first she was asking why they’d written a storyline like that and then started accusing me and you of asking them to write it so we could have a secret relationship and I just lost it. She thinks I have a thing for you! Ever since that stupid tweet from all that time ago when I took you to the medics room she’s been on my case and quizzing me about everything I do that you might be involved in.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” I said as he ran his fingers through his hair. The corridor was deadly silent and yet again, I found myself getting sucked into an emotional moment with Seth. “I can’t even begin to imagine what that must have been like…”

“Impossible.” He shook his head. “She didn’t believe a word I said.”

“Roman doesn’t particularly like this storyline either but hopefully after the backstage scene we can just resume our normal relationships.” I said, trying to bring his hopes up. “It’s only acting right?”

“Is it?” Seth looked into my eyes quizzically.

“Is what?” I asked, furrowing my brow in confusion.

“Is it really just acting? Are we really just going to kiss and then think nothing of it?” Seth said in a way that scared me. I could feel my stomach tightening with nerves. My brain began creating situations and scenarios about mine and Seth’s on screen kiss and it only made it worse.

“W-What do you mean?” I could barely speak properly as I suddenly imagined feelings for him developing after this kiss.

“We have to kiss and it has to look realistic. Do you really think neither of us are going to think about that kiss anymore?” He looked deeper into my eyes as if he was trying to read my thoughts.

“Well, we’re both in relationships… I just assumed…” I couldn’t finish my sentence. I could barely breathe as I looked deeper into his eyes and felt myself being drawn to him. My heart was banging loudly in my chest and I felt like a teenager looking at her crush for the first time.

“There’s only one way to find out.” Seth said quietly. Before I had time to think, his lips had crashed into mine and my worst fears came true… I didn’t pull away. Electricity sparked through my body as my lips tingled from his touch and before I knew what I was doing, my hands were already running through his hair as I deepened the kiss. He cupped my face but as he did, Roman was brought into my thoughts. That’s what he did when we kissed. I pulled away quickly, my eyes wide and my breathing erratic. What had we just done? What was I thinking?

“Let’s see if it’s as easy to forget as you thought.” Seth said, walking away without another word.