XII

saakar

"Loyal Sakaarians," the Grandmaster's voice boomed out though the skies. We zoomed past his hologram but I couldn't help but gaze upwards and gulp. He was really rallying all of his forces.

"Oh God," Bruce grimaced, puffing out long breaths of air to keep himself calm.

"Lord of Thunder has stolen my ship and my favourite champion. Sakaarians, take to the skies. Bring him down. Do not let him leave this planet."

"Real cheap, putting the entire planet on us," I muttered as Brunnhilde began to shoot at the newly emerged aircrafts.

The sounds of the ringing blasts from Warsong and the Grandmaster's own defence crashed over my eardrums, overwhelming my mind as I tried to stay focused on the Commodore ahead of us. The sight was just as bizarre, the bright array of colours emitting from each ship almost blinded me as they filled the sky with it's glow.

I felt a dull ache in the pit of my stomach as the true gravity of the situation settled slowly on me. The one motive on my mind was simply to get Thor off the planet, now that this act was well on its way, our next stop was to Asgard, to Hela, and that, I had not prepared for.

I'm not like Thor, I'm not a god yet everyone sees me as one. The people of Greece think of me to be a great power, even the Avengers think of me as strong as Thor but I'm not, not at all. The weighted responsibility I've felt since the recognition from Earth has not been something I've thought much about since I've been fighting the familiar but this, fighting the Goddess of Death, was uncharted territory. My vulnerability is showcased blatantly to any who gazes my way and more than anytime before, I feel the need to invincible, not just because of Hela, but another looming threat that I've felt hanging over us all this last year, something inevitable.

Looking back out the glass window of Warsong, I concentrated back onto the action ahead of me and ignoring any negativity that entered. No matter how I see the situation, I've cheated death before, multiple times at that, I can fight my way to get another chance.

"Good shot!" Bruce praised as Valkyrie hit down a ship that got a little to close to Thor flying ahead of us.

"Thanks," she replied, eyes still trained forward. She tapped at a button behind her and said, "Open the doors," assumedly to Thor. She flew Warsong underneath the Commodore and turned to Bruce. "I hope that you're tougher than you look."

"Why?"

Before I could question Brunnhilde's actions just in case it triggered a code green, Bruce shot right out of seat, out of the top of Warsong and into the air. My head whipped up, almost cracking my neck, as I followed Bruce's body. He clung onto the end of the Commodore and his body jolted up as the the orange ship did.

"Gods," I breathed out a laugh. "Am I next?"

"No, not yet. I'll need your help with taking out these bastards." She said, concentrating on the rush of oncoming ships.

"Where are the guns on this ship?" came Thor's voice through the monitor.

"There aren't any!" Brunnhilde shouted back to him over the sound of the pounding guns.

I nibbled at my bottom lip in anxiousness, what were we supposed to do without guns when these aircrafts were trailing behind us?

"It's a leisure vessel," she continued and my eyebrows scrunched up in disgust. Did the Grandmaster really need an entire ship for that?

"What?" came Bruce's confusion.

"Orgies, Bruce...be careful what you touch in there," I said, unconsciously wiping my hands on my armour.