XIV

four months later

It was the most wonderful time of the year

New Asgard had never looked so beautiful. I don't think I have ever spent Christmas in a more magical place.

The waters surrounding the village had completely frozen over. On early morning walks through town, one would often find the children ice-skating, mittens slammed against the ice as they fell and hats lay across its expanse until their parents could skate across to fetch them. The Jørgensen family had taken to selling hot chocolate outside of the local bakery. Nothing warmed you up more after a long and tiring council's meeting like the sweet cocoa, swarming with marshmallows and cream. Each Asgardian was working extra hard to ensure all shipments were received for Christmas Eve, everyone having their presents ready to exchange and ingredients ready to cook the feast of the year. The Christmas Tree lightening ceremony was something extraordinary. Thor, with me by his side, flipped the switch that lit the village up, igniting it to glory. Even when the sun had set, the merry lights would keep even the loneliest company through their journey.

And all that beauty extended into the heart of Thor and I's home.

Mrs Kalista had hand-picked the flowers in our wreath that hung outside our door. It was a nightmare travelling with them but I wouldn't replace those cherry flowers for anything. Garlands were wrapped up the handrail of the staircase, red berries hiding within the bush. Fairy lights and candles lit up every inch of the house, it was beaming with light. A little nisse sat on the bottom of the stairs, greeting whoever walked through the door. A fully constructed gingerbread house sat on the table, little cookie people standing outside admiring their home alongside a fresh plate of kourabiedes and melomakarona christmas cookies.

The prized piece was, of course, the Christmas Tree. The evergreen tree cut from the farm on the outskirts of the village was frosted with fresh snow. It was decked with gold and red ornaments, some being special trinkets that Thor and I collected over the years, my favourite being the two ceramic snowmen on a sled. Adorned atop the tree was the golden, gleaming star that my father had used since I was a child.

"Thor, got the cheese!" I shouted, huffing as I closed the front door shut behind me. Shivering, I slipping off my coat and boots, trying not the drop the packaged cheese on the floor.

"Thank Odin!" His voice sounded from the kitchen.

"I'm telling you, I don't think I've ever been more embarrassed in my life! The way the lady looked at me when I told her what I'd forgotten. I swear, I wanted to crawl into a hole! And do you know what the worst part is? I know for a fact that if I was anyone else, she would have slammed the door on my face. It made me feel so uncomfortable." I rambled, running into the kitchen and giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"Well, you're welcome, I guess," he said, shrugging his shoulders and continuing to prep the turkey.

"That was not the point," I said, rolling my eyes and beginning to clean up around the kitchen, deciding it better than doing it all at once.