XV

somewhere in space

Thor, Loki and I stood on the main deck, staring out into space

Thor, Loki and I stood on the main deck, staring out into space. The wide expanse ahead of us was filled with an ominous, brittle silence as we floated amidst the glistening musical notes emanating out of nothing.

"Are you sure that it's a good idea to go to Olympus?" Loki asked, turning to Thor and I.

Thor and Loki truly had become far closer than I had ever seen them, reminding me of the childhood memories that Thor had told me. I was so glad to see them together, as a family. It was what Frigga would have wanted. All I wish is for the man I love more than anything to be happy.

"Sure, why wouldn't they. Thor helped us when we were in dire need of it," I answered.

"Yes, I do think that they love me there," Thor smiled, causing me to scoff at him but Loki's face remained unsure.

"Let me rephrase: Do you really think it's a good idea to take me there?"

"Why has something happened that I don't know of?" I said, quirking my eyebrow at his suspicious expression.

"Well...I may or may not have attempted to sneak in but got caught by Hermes..." He said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You did what? When?" I exclaimed.

Thor, however, smiled and patted Loki on the shoulder. "Don't worry, brother...I've got a feeling that everything is going to work out."

There are times when I think back to this moment. I remember the hope and excitement for the future the three of us shared. The way we came together like a real family, ready to lead the Asgardians on their new journey. Sometimes I wished Thor said nothing at all because maybe, only maybe, things could be different.

As soon as the words left his mouth, through the window we caught sight of a colossal, shadowy warship.

"What?" whispered Thor in disbelief. The three of us looked up, unable to form a coherent thought.

A terrible shadow fell over our far smaller rescue vessel, casting us into darkness under the ominous ship. There was nothing but fear coursing through us in that moment.

"Thor...Thor...look - they - they've -" I started, turning my body towards him with my eyes still peeled at the sight, however missiles had already begun to fire violently towards us.

An explosion hit. I ducked my head and Thor pulled me into his arms as the Statesman shook under our feet. Luckily, it caused no damage...for now.

"Selene, go find Valkyrie, help her get as many Asgardians off into the small rescue vessel in the east wing - I won't let whoever that is onto this ship," Thor said quickly, pointing to the nearest exit.

"Got it," I nodded, holding his hand briefly, needing that touch to propel me to be okay with leaving his side. "Please be careful, both of you."

Before I left the main deck, another missile hit. The three of us crouched for safety. Thor, again, covered me with himself as dust rained atop of our heads. As soon as the shaking stopped, we straightened and with a quick, chaste kiss, I left to find Valkyrie.