XXVIII

Thor flew up to those ships, conjuring great wreaths of energy to take them down, going right through each of the floors to take down the crowds of outriders waiting to spill out onto the battlefield

I made my way through to the other side, not right on the back lines of Thanos' army where it was most dangerous.

There was a herd of chitauri in my way. Three of them charged right at me. I drove my sword into one's abdomen then slashed at the one creeping up behind me. The third began to shoot at me but I launched my sword into it's head. I hurried forward and I quickly got rid of the other dozen or so that we with the others, pressing deeper into the battlefield as I overheard T'Challa taking the gauntlet to try get it to the van.

I caught sight of some familiar as I neared the other side of the battle. I almost stopped in my tracks which was dangerous as a chitauri leviathan swarmed down low near my head which was swiftly taken cared of by Brunnhilde. The person saw me and we locked eye contact the both of us not being able to keep our laughter in, despite the severity of the situation.

"You're a nutter," I said, shaking my head at her after engulfing her into my arms. I held her tight, missing being in her presence after all these years. "Why are you making me laugh at a time like this?"

"Well, I'm sorry that when you look at my face that's just your involuntary response," she rolled her eyes.

"Gods, I missed you, Pen. I missed you so much," I said, pulling out of the hug to look at my best-friends face. She looked tired and her hair was caked with dirt but I was so glad to see her.

"I missed you, too, Sel," she nodded. "Even before all this happened, I hadn't seen you in such a long time and now look at you! You're all knocked up!"

"I'm 34, Penelope. I can't get 'knocked up' at that age, it's not the right phrasing," I said, punching her arm lightly, causing her to scoff.

"You're 34?" She asked, eyes almost popping out of their sockets. "Damn."

"You have been away for 5 years, Pen," I said, pinching my eyebrows together. "And that's not even the point. How did you even know that I'm pregnant?"

She shrugged, a wry smile on her face. "I just know these things. Let's just say I have a knack for it."

"Weird but okay," I said, eyeing her suspiciously before laughing, still not believing that I'm able to see her again.  My face suddenly grew serious and Penelope noticed, shoving my shoulder gently. "It's nothing just...thank you for coming...for helping...even if it's only you out of the whole of Olympus, it still means a lot to me, you being here."

"We fight though thick and thin, right? That's what we do," she said with a small smile. "Oh shit, heads up, Sel!"

I looked up quickly, seeing the gauntlet flying though the air. I sheathed my sword instantly and jumped upwards. My fingernails scratched on the metal and I reached further and grasped it by the end, tucking it deep into the crook of my elbow once I landed on the ground.