XXV

Nothing was certain in that moment

My mind was in an utter blur as it seemed like everything happened at once. It was chaos around me as the explosions went off.

All I knew was that one, Thor was tossed away from me and I had no idea where to since his hand left mine and second, the ground beneath my feet had been stolen.

I could see nothing as the explosion left the back of my eyelids imprinted with a blinding, orange light. There were dark spots in my vision, my senses already being utterly thrown off. I could hear nothing. The constant ringing in my ears caused the screams of those around me to fall to deafness. It made everything seem like it was a haze of madness. The debris had infiltrated my mouth, the dirty soot coating my tongue making it difficult for me to breathe and the speed in which I fell made it impossible for me to spit it out.

I did, though, remember the events in which things had happened.

The floor cracked from beneath our feet, right across the middle, just as the windows exploded. My fingers clawed helplessly against the concrete as my body slid down it and soon, I was falling. It seemed like the entire compound had been shuddered to the ground as my body kept falling, for a while at least until my back slammed violently against the floor covered in wreckage and God, how I was thankful I landed on my back.

The pain shot through me, rattling to every inch of my body but I was still aware of the loud crumbling that continued above me.

I gritted my teeth and forced myself to zone back in and focus on the situation. I needed to if I wanted to survive, to keep alive those around me who I soon noticed was Rhodey, Rocket and Bruce. I became aware of the utter darkness surrounding us, a huge chunk of concreate above us that was being held up by Bruce with only one hand, the other being punctured with a great piece of stone. The sound of rushing water that was obvious almost instantly but that wasn't the most pressing matter at hand so I pushed the thought away.

"Bruce, are you okay?" I asked, wincing as I pushed myself into a sitting position, instinctively holding my belly.

"I'm fine, I-I can hold this as long as possible, before the water comes in but we need to find a way out. ASAP," he grunted with exhaustion. "Are you okay? You're not hurt are you?"

"No, no, I'm okay. I think the baby is, too," I said, looking down and peering at my armour through the darkness, it seemed to have not been tarnished even slightly. "The waters getting closer, I can hear it. Rhodey!" I said, spotting him a few meters away, his suit camouflaging with the grey of the rocks.

"Canopy, canopy, canopy," Rhodey repeated the safety word desperately. He spluttered as his suit deactivated off of him, letting him breathe. I sighed in relief as I saw him heave.

"I can't breathe, I can't breathe," another voice said.

I whipped my head around, droplets of water flinging around me, as I set my eyes on Rocket who had a massive piece of rock crushing his chest. I scampered over to him, breathing heavily through the thin, underground air.