XIX

After my chat with Natasha I realised how stupid it was for me to be here without being fully confident that we could do this

After my chat with Natasha I realised how stupid it was for me to be here without being fully confident that we could do this. I wouldn't be surprised that my negative energy would start to rub off on the Pym particles and they exploded. So, I left the kitchen and went down to the lab to find out more about the whole time-travel situation and figure out how exactly it worked.

I walked towards the lab, my body pretty anxious as Bruce, Nebula and Rhodey all stood around Scott wearing a suit.

"Oh, hey, Selene," Scott beamed, holding up a hand once he saw me.

"Morning," I greeted, returning with a small smile. "I'm not interrupting am I?"

"Oh, no. Of course not," Bruce protested, waving me off.

"Thank you," I said sheepishly, stepping into the lab. "It's just that, I really don't understand all of this, I mean, everything everyone tells me goes in one ear and out the other."

"Yeah, come watch, you'll get it," Bruce said, going to pick up the red tube full of Hank Pym's particles.

"The more the merrier," Nebula said and I couldn't exactly tell whether she was being sarcastic or not.

"Hey, hey, hey. Easy there!" Scott suddenly jumped, holding his hands out to protect the particles, sending a wild look at Bruce.

"I'm being very careful," Bruce said deadpanned.

"No, you're being very Hulky," Scott insisted in a sharp tone, taking the glass tube from him causing me to giggle.

"I'm being careful!" Bruce protested.

"No," Scott said quickly, holding up the tube and Bruce looked at him, his jaw clenched. "These are Pym Particles, all right? And ever since Hank Pym got snapped out of existence, this is it. This is what we have. We're not making any more."

"Scott, calm down," said Rhodey as Scott's voice only began to rise.

"Sorry," Scott said, clearing his voice. "We've got enough for one round-trip each. That's it. No do-overs. Plus two test runs."

I watched Scott as the suit clicked, Scott fiddling with the button and he shrunk then grew back to his normal size.

"Scott-" I breathed, my eyebrows pinched together as he just wasted a Pym Particle.

"One test run."

"And I was being Hulky, huh?" Bruce said, his back turned to Scott, looking at something on the trolley.

"Dude," Rhodey said and Bruce shrugged his shoulders.

"All right. I'm not ready for this," Scott said, grimacing.

"I'll do it," I said suddenly and I didn't even realise what was coming out of my mouth.

All this doubt, all this stupid negativity that I had nagging at the back on my mind these last few days, this was the chance to get rid of that. Going back in time, doing this test-run would make me realise what an amazing chance we have at changing things, at making things right. It was all well and good saying that I believed, saying that to others, but I knew that I never really meant a word. Experiencing this for myself would be the push that I needed. To believe and feel what the others did.