I

olympus

eight years ago

the fourth task

Tired, drowsy, exhausted, none of which described the gut wrenching feeling of waiting for my next trial

Tired, drowsy, exhausted, none of which described the gut wrenching feeling of waiting for my next trial. My days spent training and at the library could only entertain me so much.

I laid on my azure velvet blankets on my bed next to Kol, nuzzling his neck. Kol was another way I kept busy with my time. I wouldn't say that I loved him, I don't think I ever would but I enjoyed his company and that was enough for me.

We gazed as the stars shone as sugar split over black marble. It was the most beautiful art, alive with energy, a song for the eyes.

Lightening struck, a brilliant shock of white in the graphite sky forked over the unsuspecting clouds. I jumped at the sudden crackle, burrowing my head into Kol's arms in shock.

"Shit," he whispered. "It must be Zeus."

"I swear if calls for me at this time, I'm gonna jump off this mountain," I groaned, snuggling back into Kol's neck and closing my eyes.

He laughed and ran his fingers through my hair, "I highly doubt it, it's late."

I almost drifted off to sleep, forgetting about my next hurdle to my inevitable death, when a knock sounded at the door.

"Well, the time of day must be a foreign concept to him," I huffed, getting out of bed. Kol trailed behind me as I tugged open the door. A guard who stands at the front of Mount Olympus appeared behind the door.

"Is Lord Zeus calling for me?" I asked.

"Yes, he said it is urgent." The guard responded.

"Okay," I sighed. I tuned back and kissed Kol quickly. "I'll see you when I get back. If I get back."

And so I followed his red topped helmet through the empty streets of Olympus. A few people loitered outside after Zeus' abrupt tantrum but as soon as their eyes landed on me they walked back inside their homes after looking solemnly at me. They all suspected that Zeus would soon task me something that was virtually impossible, I generally agreed with them.

My heart thumped harder and harder as we trekked closer to Mount Olympus, not knowing what terrifying trial could be thrown in my path. The guard shoved the heavy doors to the Pantheon open to reveal all twelve thrones empty except for the central one. Zeus stared at me with lightening flickering in his electric eyes.

I started to panic. Have I done something wrong? Is his anger directed at me? Is he going to dishonor the other Twelve and throw me into the Underworld anyway?

"Selene Ariti, your fourth Trial has finally arrived," his voice boomed, reverberating across the hall. I balled my hands into fists, trying to keep my calm. "My eagle was delivering a message when he flew too close to Sicily. He has now been captured by the cyclops Polyphemus. I could simply retrieve him but I thought this would be a fun task for you," he said, eyes glinting malevolently.