III

old panteleimonas, greece

I was almost unrecognisable

I was almost unrecognisable. Artemis, or as I should really be starting to call her, Mother, had brought me some things to change into. She said that I won't even be allowed into the Pantheon if I wasn't dressed appropriately. The reflection before me was not the village girl from Old Panteleimonas who worked as a waitress at the family restaurant but the daughter of Artemis, the Greek Goddess.

A lilac chiton draped over me with the layers flowing down to the floor. A thin strip of fabric was tied around me, cinching in the waistline. I shivered in the cold winter's air, feeling the draft from the window ruffle the dress. My hair fell over my shoulders in waves, still damp from my shower but a silver headpiece sat on the crown of my head, a wreath of branches and leaves. A spiral armband hugged my bicep and a pair of golden sandals laced up my legs to my knees.

Picking at the hem of the chiton, I walked back out into the living room. My father's eyes instantly widened, I had never wore something so delicate and complex before.

"Selene, dear, you look beautiful," he said, placing a soft kiss upon my forehead.

"Thank you," I smiled bashfully at the compliment.

"I'm sorry you have to go through this and on your special day at that." He sighed, holding my shoulder. "But whatever happens, remember that I will always be with you, in here," he said, placing his hand on my heart.

"I love you, Dad, so much," I said through blurry eyes.

"And I love you, my princess." He said pulling me into a warm embrace as I blinked my tears away.

After a few moments, we had no choice but to pull apart as Artemis was waiting and the clock, to my impending doom, was ticking.

She had also changed. Her tunic had been replaced by an intricately wrapped white chiton. Her hair had been braided and a silver wreath of leaves sat on her head, welded to a crescent moon which sat above her forehead.

"We must leave." She stated simply, arms still crossed.

"Okay," I breathed out, my voice shaking with nerves. I tuned back to my Father and stared into his eyes, the colour of the sea after it faced the wrath of a storm. "I don't know what will happen. I-I might not even come back..."

"No, don't say that..." He hushed holding my face in his calloused hands, his thumb stroking my cheek softly.

"No, no, I have to." I gulped while biting back the tears threatening to fall. "I might not see you again for a while or-or maybe not ever but I need you to know that you are a wonderful father. You're so amazing in so many ways that I do not even deserve."

"Oh, Selene," he said, a tear falling down his face.

"And I want you to promise me that you won't give up. You can't give up on being happy because you deserve to be happy, without feeling guilty that I'm not with you. I want you to find love again and maybe even have another child that you can pass the restaurant to one day." I said, tears now openly streaming down my face. " Can you promise me?"