XVIII

Thor was still sleeping by the time I left the bedroom

Thor was still sleeping by the time I left the bedroom. I guess it was the anxiousness, or even Thor's unusually loud snoring, but I awoke as soon as the sun peaked over the horizon and the birds started to twitter outside. I tried to fall back to sleep but that usually meant plenty of tossing and turning and I didn't want to wake Thor up, he needed the long rest longer than I did so I simply rolled out of bed, leaving a soft kiss on Thor's forehead as I went. I pulled open the cupboard, grabbed some clothes, got changed in the bathroom, then headed out.

My feet padded against the floor. Despite my socks, I still felt the coldness seeping through to touch my skin. I wrapped my arms around myself, perhaps being a mental way to keep myself safe, still feeling completely odd in the compound, doing the things I would have done all those years ago.

The floor was quiet, the doors were all tightly shut, most of the team still sleeping like a normal person would be. I silently thanked the gods for not making morning sickness a current issue. My pregnancy was not something that Thor and I wanted the team to know about just yet, well, that's just mainly me. If they knew, they'd deem me fragile, incapable. They'd want me to sit out of all the heavy lifting which was ludicrous because I knew that I was just fine. Thor didn't think as I did though, he wanted the fact to be known, so everyone could be on 'Selene Watch.' But he respected my decision and I guess that's why I had to understand what he was saying last night.

There was a kitchen on this floor which I was entirely thankful for, especially in this early morning where I had nothing I could do. I pushed open the glass door with both hands only to see Natasha sitting on the island with a bowl of fruit in front of her.

"Early riser lately, too, huh?" She asked, looking up to  greet me.

"Yep, it's like the gods won't let me sleep," I responded, walking into the kitchen towards her. "Tragic really, I feel like my eyes are about to droop out."

"Oof, tell me about it. It's like a constant pain in my forehead," she agreed, taking a piece of apple.

"Gods, that's horrible. Sounds like shooting an arrow right between your eyes," I mused, grimacing.

"I can confirm that," Nat hummed and I eyed her suspiciously. "Clint and I used to do all sorts while training, we were a bit of a problem for Fury, actually."

"Damn poor guy," I chucked. "If I didn't know any better, I'd bet you two had given him that eyepatch."

"Come on, now," she said, a small smile settled on her lips.

"Oh no, you too are as harmless as kittens, really," I nodded, my mouth tugging upwards.

"I cut up some extra fruit, it's in the fridge," Nat offered, quirking her eyebrow, gesturing to the corner of the room.

"That's kind of you, thank you," I said, glancing at her then walking over to the fridge.

The small bowl was filled with an abundance of fruits and you could imagine my joy when I saw the strawberries. I grabbed a fork from the cutlery drawer and joined her on the stool at the island.