II

eight years later

olympus

I was sat at the small island in my kitchen, a glass mug filled to the brim with a steaming coffee sat at my right and in front of me laid an open book

I was sat at the small island in my kitchen, a glass mug filled to the brim with a steaming coffee sat at my right and in front of me laid an open book. The windows let in the early morning sunlight, I happily basked in the golden rays as it soaked up every inch of the kitchen, reading the beautiful prose off the pages.

It seemed a picture of serenity. This was the way I liked to spend the beginning of my mornings, before I went off to train with some of the other demi-gods. The weather was always perfect in Olympus and I adored that. The sun always welcomed me in the mornings, well, most mornings.

Thunder stuck through the peace, splintering the sky with its violent, luminescence. It caught me by surprise, jumping slightly at the shaking sound that bounded and echoed across the whole of Olympus. I rolled my eyes, chugging back the remnants of my drink. Zeus sent the lightening as a warning, he wanted someone's attention. Of course, it had to be me.

A man wearing a beige chiton was standing outside my door, Zeus' messenger.

"Our King is asking for your presence in the Pantheon. It is an urgent matter. All of The Twelve are waiting on you and Lady Penelope's arrival," the man said, slightly pink in the face, he was obviously running.

"He requires Penelope too?" I asked, stepping outside to follow him since I was already dressed. "Hey," I said to Penelope as she, too, exited her home and was following the Queen's messenger.

"Yes, this is no task for one," the woman wearing blush pink said, a grave expression on her face. "Be prepared. Both of you."

Once the four of us reached the great, stone doors, the two messengers pushed it open for Penelope and I to walk through. There was a tense atmosphere settled throughout the room, different to the usual one, it seemed like there was a true threat in the midst.

"Selene Ariti, Daughter of Artemis," Zeus' booming voice called out and I bowed my head in respect and as a greeting to The Twelve. "Penelope Greengrass, Daughter of Posidon." Nel followed my movement, bowing deeper than I did however, perhaps due to the fact that she was not often summoned in front of all the gods.

"Lord Zeus," she said as we both straightened up.

"We have summoned you because we believe you both to be the most apt to this task. There is a great number of uncertain elements to this so we think it wise to send two of our best warriors in our stead."

I tried not to roll my eyes, they obviously just didn't want to risk their own lives. Who was the most disposable? Me. I understood that but my annoyance came from them dragging my best friend into this all.

"Task, Lord Zeus?" I asked.

"I was coming to that," He tutted and I bit my tongue and dropped my head again, listening. "There has been a resurgence..."