IV

sokovia

The wind rushed past my face, stray stands of hair from my plaited ponytail obscured my vision as I zoomed through the cold wintry air

The wind rushed past my face, stray stands of hair from my plaited ponytail obscured my vision as I zoomed through the cold wintry air. The scene around me was as if Khione herself had conjured it. The matted brown pine needles peaked out through the powdery white carpet, the sun glinting off the expanse of diamond-like crystals all around.

Of course, the serene picture was infiltrated by the swarms of heavily armoured HYDRA guards and machines. With one hand gripped tightly on the handle of the motorcycle, I used the other to slash down the guards that came flooding out of the compound in a quite futile attempt to stop us.

I nodded at Steve, who was on the other motorcycle, and we diverged onto different paths. I rode through the blanket of snow as I mercilessly brought down guard after guard, swiping through their bodies easily with my adamantine sword. Rounding near a small hand-crafted tower where a few machines stood shooting down at us with their weapons.

With all my might, I swung my leg out while lifting myself off the seat. I kicked into the wooden beam of the tower causing it and the machines to cascade slowly into the snow. Stark flew down instantly after, blasting them all into smithereens as I continued forward.

I caught up with the rest of the group and saw one of the great jeeps trailing behind the one that Nat managed to hijack. Seeing no more use of the motorcycle, I sheathed my sword back onto my back. In one great movement, I strained my muscles and let out a low grunt to flip the small vehicle out from beneath me and into the jeep. As my feet planted against the icy cushioned dirt, the jeep exploded into a fire of blinding light.

I leaped over the crossed planks of wood, lined with barbed wire along with my fellow Avengers, ready to crush the inner workings of the HYDRA base.

My feet made contact with the snow once again as I drew my sword. I sprinted through the trees at a rate faster than the average human and came into the sight of these oddly powered machines. I smoothly ducked one of it's electric blue blasts then kicked it square in the chest. As it faltered, I struck my sword into the head of another and yanked it out harshly, it dropping to the floor. I spun around and swiped at the head of the one I kicked, it coming clean off as it spluttered and powered down.

I glanced at Thor flying overhead and called out to him. He swooped down and gathered me into his arms, causing my seemingly permanently heavy heart to lift momentarily. He lifted me onto the platform and my feet slammed against the wood. Together, we fought back-to-back, taking down the dozen or so guards. Once they had all dropped, limp, he carried me back down safely to the group and swung his hammer away.

I puffed out a breath of warm air, creating spirals in the frosty air then set off back into a run. A huge tank rolled out in front of my moonlit eyes. I brought my bow to anchor's point and trained it on the flock of guards in front of it, I shot them down, rapidly decreasing the lines around it while narrowly dodging the lines of blue energy blast.