VI

new york

Thor's Asgardian alcohol really did lighten me up, the small electric buzz that I felt flowing through my body loosened my senses just enough to truly enjoy the party atmosphere

Soon enough, the party had died down so it was just the Avengers sitting around the sofa's, drinking, laughing and simply enjoying each others company.

Thor was explaining the whole 'worthy' concept to the others, them believing it to be pure bullshit. I looked up to him from where I was sitting on the patch of carpet behind the coffee table. I hugged his jacket closer to my frame as he had given it to me once it began to get chilly, the windows of the open balcony blowing in cold air.

"But it's a trick," complained Clint as he sat opposite me twirling a drum-stick between his fingers. I caught eyes with Maria as we shook our heads at each other, knowing where this was going.

"No, no, it's much more than that," Thor chuckled, handing me down a beer which I took gladly.

"Ah, whosoever be he worthy shall haveth the power," Clint mocked causing me to roll my eyes. "Whatever man, it's a trick!" He said, still unconvinced.

"Please," Thor said in amusement, "be my guest."

"Really?" Clint asked, glancing at Mjolnir sitting on the table.

"Yeah," Thor nodded, sitting back.

"Oh, this is gonna be beautiful." Rhodey said as Clint got up with full confidence.

"Clint, you've had a tough week. We won't hold it against you if you can't get it up," Tony said making laughs erupt around me.

I shuffled to the side, giving better access to Thor's hammer. I was so grateful to be in this atmosphere, family was always the most important thing to me but now that my father was gone, I've had that stolen from me. But this, this kind of felt like family.

"You know I've seen this before, right?" Clint said. He reached for the handle as I leaned back to watch. He grunted as he pulled at it, straining his muscles.

"Don't break your back, Clint," I laughed as he gave up, shaking his head.

"You try, mighty Olympian," he mocked, going to sit back down.

I glanced up at Thor who looked at me with enjoyment written across his features.

"Oh, no, I do not want to injure Thor's ego when I manage to lift it," I smirked, winking at Thor causing laughter to rise around me. Thor chucked deeply and nudged me with his knee. "Plus, it would be too much work to rule Asgard. I don't have the energy for that."

"It's okay, Selene. We can smell your silent judgement for Barton," Stark said.

"Please, Stark, by all means," Clint said, gesturing to Mjolnir.