XVIII

upstate new york

avengers compound

Bruce and I gained entry to the Avengers compound, which wouldn't have been possible  without the massive help of Rhodey

Bruce and I gained entry to the Avengers compound, which wouldn't have been possible without the massive help of Rhodey. This Secretary Ross wouldn't stop bumbling on about something called the Accords that I knew nothing about except for the one email I received before I left for Saakar a few weeks ago, which may have been years due to the odd time difference in Saakar.

As soon as I entered, I headed straight for my designated room, pulled on my necklace and went straight to bed, praying for a dreamless sleep.

I didn't get what I wished for.

I didn't know what I expected since the last time I was in this room was with Thor.

Nightmares plagued me. Images of Thor's lifeless body drifting through space was imprinted on the back of my eyelids when I was jolted awake by Bruce.

I dragged a hand over my sweaty forehead and took in a deep breath, bringing myself back to reality. I whipped my cheeks of stray tears that had fell during my sleep then looked up at Bruce.

"Are they here?"

He nodded. "The quinjet just landed, Rhodey's speaking to Ross."

"Gods, I just pray that they have Vision," I said, swinging my legs of the bed and feeling so much more refreshing and having much greater mobility.

Before I followed Bruce out of the room, I pulled up my shirt, checking the abundance of bruises I had gained through the day and they were still there but a light green. My head injury had fully healed with nothing but a thin scar to remind me what was once there.

I took a quick detour to the kitchen on the same floor as my bedroom and grabbed a banana, needing something to help replenish me to my full strength.

By the time Bruce and I made our way to where Rhodey was, I had already chowed down the banana, tossing it into the rubbish bin as the voice of Rhodey entered my ears.

"Well, you guys really look like crap. Must've been a rough couple of years."

"Yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five stars," came Nat's voice.

Then, I finally saw my old friends that I hadn't seen in years.

"Well, I think you look great," said Bruce as we walked into the room, all of them turning their gazes towards us, expressions of surprise running through them. "Uh...heh...yeah...we're back."

I smiled softly at them, my heart warming to see them again and to see Vision with the Mind Stone.

"Hi Bruce," Nat said, eyes focused onto him.

"Nat," responded Bruce.

I swallowed, noticing the awkwardness of the room. "I missed you guys," I said, engulfing Nat into a hug who chuckled at me. "Your hair, it looks good."