V

"Director Fury," I said, shaking the hand of the intimidating man with the eye-patch

"Director Fury," I said, shaking the hand of the intimidating man with the eye-patch. I stepped off the quinjet as it landed on the S.H.I.E.L.D helicarrier. A dozen men swarmed around Loki sending him away. As he went by, his eyes met mine, carrying something wicked.

"Selene," he responded, nodding his head then following after the men accompanying Loki.

I followed the rest of the team into the main room and sat back on a chair surrounding a large round table, overlooking dozens of workers at their computers.

I stared out the open windows, watching the clouds faze by while fumbling with the ends of my worn leather jacket. We listened intently as Fury questioned Loki.

"How desperate are you, that you call upon such lost creatures to defend you?" Loki said.

I had to admit, that struck a cord. I still didn't even know why I accepted this mission. I could be at the restaurant serving the regulars our signature amygdalota, not worrying about any of this. I had no idea what role I played in this team of specialised individuals. Sure, I had experience that the others didn't, but with Thor now here, could I not just go home?

"How desperate am I? You threaten my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control." Fury said. "You talk about peace and you kill 'cause it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did."

"Ooh. It burns you to come so close. To have the Tesseract, to have power, unlimited power. And for what? A warm light for all mankind to share, and then to be reminded what real power is." Loki seethed.

"Well, you let me know if Real Power wants a magazine or something." Fury finished.

I narrowed my eyebrows, the thought of them possibly lying to us coming to me. Is S.H.I.E.L.D's motive to use the Tesseract's power for themselves? Did they bring us here on their own selfish desires? Was this team just a replacement for something planned, something to do with the Tesseract? Is that why this entire operation was formed so last minute?

"He really grows on you, doesn't he?" Doctor Banner joked, who I met seconds ago, so I spun my chair around slightly to look at him.

"Loki's going to drag this out. So, Thor, what's his play?" asked Rogers.

Thor tuned to us slowly towards us, his mind far. I couldn't imagine what he felt, he mourned his brother only to find out he had been plotting this Earth invasion all along. "He has an army called the Chitauri. They're not of Asgard, Olympus or any world known," he said looking at me briefly. "He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the Earth. In return, I suspect, for the Tesseract."

I groaned silently, an entire army? I had never fought something to that scale before.

"An army? From outer space?" said the Captain in disbelief.