VI

new mexico

two years later

the fifth trial

I felt myself fall away from Asgard, my body zooming through the tunnel of colours

I felt myself fall away from Asgard, my body zooming through the tunnel of colours. My feet slammed against the cracked, dry earth, my perception of time and space returning as the Bifrost disappeared. Intricate, Nordic designs engraved the floor surrounding me in a circle. I looked up at the sky to see nothing but a blanket of grey, completely unlike the white ribbon in Olympus. 

I gazed out, squinting my eyes across the seemingly barren grounds until I spotted a large crowd of people not to far from me and so I trudged on the dusty earth towards them, holding up my chiton to stop myself from tripping.

By the time I reached the mass of people, sunlight was streaming through the stone clouds but it wasn't even warming the air in the slightest. I wasn't used to this chilly climate, neither in Olympus nor in Greece.

"You okay there, pretty lady?" A man in a truckers hat said, slamming his car down and walking towards me. I wanted to recoil at his arrogance and self-righteousness but I needed a way into the city so I had no choice but to play along.

"Hi, my goodness, you're such a lifesaver," I beamed, walking towards him. "My name's Sybil, so nice to meet you." I said, holding out my hand and he took it, a little too eagerly. I wanted to snatch it back but I swallowed my pride and shook his hand.

"The name's William. So what you doin' out here in this fancy getup?" He asked as I noticed the huge crater that the swarms of people were standing around. It seemed to have something in the middle of it, something they couldn't get out.

"Oh this? I'm an entertainer," I lied while trying to figure out what was at the centre of the crater, not paying much attention to him.

"Oh I know a few ways you could entertain me," he muttered under his breath thinking I couldn't hear him but I did. I had to bite at my inner cheeks to keep myself calm.

"What's going on down there? It seems awfully busy," I asked, growing inpatient.

"Oh that? It's a hammer, we've been trying at it for hours but it won't budge." He grunted.

My heart skipped a beat. It must be Mjölnir, none of them are worthy so they wouldn't be able to lift it. That must mean Thor is close. This is it.

"Oh, I see. Listen, would you do me a huge favour?" I said quickly, eyeing him.

"Anything for you, sweet-cheeks," he winked.

"Would you be able to give me a ride into the nearest city?" I asked.

"Sure, Puente Antiguo is only a few hours drive from here," he said getting into his red truck. "Come on in."

A few hours?! Stuck with this sleezebag! The things I have to do to save my life.