XVII

olympus

My eyes were bloodshot as I followed the crowd of Olympians draped in black

My eyes were bloodshot as I followed the crowd of Olympians draped in black. Thor placed a gentle hand on my back and urged me forward, knowing how I yearned to be back under the covers of my bed.

Thor carried my exhausted body to my thankfully undestroyed home after seeing my father laying motionless in the ruins of the restaurant and I passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow. I assured him that it was fine for him to return to Asgard yet he defiantly refused. Deep down, under all of my sorrow, I was glad. I didn't want to admit that I didn't want to be left alone.

The drops of hot wax hit and cooled on my hand as I held the flickering candle in the palms of my hands. The small flames lit up the streets of Olympus like fireflies dazzling the night sky as we slowly make our way to the Gateway of Olympus.

I was unfeeling, completely empty. I felt his absence with every step I took. His absence was like the dark sky, spread over everything imaginable. I was unable to escape from the shadow looming over me. It was always there, right beside me, as if it had one vice-like grip clutched around my aching heart. It squeezed tighter every time the sorrow overwhelmed me, as I wished he was here with me. Sometimes I wished it would squeeze a little bit tighter, to send me to Elysian Plains where he shall lay.

The line of Olympians streamed through the Gateway of Olympus for the send-off of the fallen. We walked silently along the recently mended bridge. I held up my peplos up with one hand as I focused on trying not to trip, dispelling all confrontation with saying goodbye to my father.

Thor and I make our way to the edges of Mount Olympus where the boats full of the departed lay, ready to seek an eternity of rest. Hades had granted all those murdered in the attacks a path into Elysium.

Hundreds of them floated under the moonlight, among the white clouds. My lip begun to quiver as my eyes swam through the vessels, tears obscured my vision as the thought of my father laying in one of them hit me. My hands trembled causing the flame to flicker wildly in my hands, matching the thumping of my heart but a hand covered mine, stopping it's shaking.

"Your father will be okay," Thor whispered behind me. "He is going to find peace. Let him find peace with your acceptance."

I let out a drawn, stuttering breath and nodded my head. He was right, he'll find rest in Elysium, he'll be watching over me.

I gripped the candle tighter, Thor's hand still comfortingly on my own as I watched Zeus emerge forward to the golden boat in the middle where Hermes laid. He placed Hermes' caduceus atop of his body then stepped back in line with the Olympians. With one gentle push, Hermes' golden vessel begun it's journey through the clouds, the others joining as they glided into oblivion. I lifted my hands and let the candle float down among the clouds. A silent tear slid down my rosy cheeks as I said goodbye to my father for the final time.

"ασφαλές ταξίδι στο Ἠλύσιον πεδίον."

* * *

I turned to the CD player that sat amidst the crumbled plaster and popped in my father's favourite band, AC/DC's 'Back in Black' CD. 'Hell's Bells' church bells rung out in the restaurant as I grabbed two brooms from the cupboard, ready to start cleaning up.

"You don't have to help, I'm sure there's nothing more that you want to do than to go back to Asgard," I said with a cheerless smile, it hurt to even attempt one. He was wearing my father's old clothes, they were tight, but it was the only things I had.

"I can assure you that the only place I wish to be is here," He said, looking at me in the eyes as he took the spare broom from my hands.

"You don't have to lie to me, Thor," I said, beginning to sweep the dust in the dining area. "You must be hurting just as much as I am, perhaps even more. I feel so selfish keeping you here, you lost your mother, Loki, even Jane but here I am moping about like a-."

"Selene, don't say such things. You are allowed to grieve, you are allowed to feel empty inside and I promise you that I am here because I want to be here, not because you are keeping me here. I have had my time but you haven't. I wasn't alone when I lost them and you should not be either." He held my hand softly. "Okay?"

"Okay," I whispered, nodding my aching head.

As we cleaned, the pounding rock music didn't fill the emptiness that I felt surrounding me, almost choking me as I mopped the dusty tiles. Being here, in the restaurant just didn't feel right, not without my father being here. The only thing that kept me here, in the village, working in the restaurant, connected to my mortal life after being whisked away to Olympus, was him. Now that he was gone, his absence was stifling. It felt wrong to be here without him.

A sharp PING interrupted my thoughts so I leaned the mop against the cracked wall when I fetched my phone.

"It's Stark," I said to Thor as he turned down the blaring music. I scanned over the information about the Nagasaki HYDRA base, they were planning on infiltrating it next week.

As I typed back a reply, confirming my attendance, Thor said, "Selene, you don't have to, you can allow yourself time to mourn."

"No, I want to. I need to get away from all...this. I can't stand being here without him. I-I need to clear my mind before I start fixing this place up again and this will help...and I can't be here alone."

"In that case, I'll stay here with you, until the mission, keep you company and help you get started," Thor said.

"Thor, you don't hav-"

"Selene, I've already made up my mind."

I sighed, wanting to resist at the guilt of keeping him from his people but he was too stubborn to change his mind.

"Thank you."