XIX

wakanda

Wakanda was a place like no other

At first, as I sat with my hands clasped tightly together beside Wanda and Vision on the quinjet, all I saw was the choir of vibrant green amid earthy browns of the rainforest which was on it's own, a breath-taking view, far different than the city of marble I was used to.

"Drop to 2600, heading 0-3-0," Steve said, walking towards Natasha and Sam who were seated in the pilot's section.

"I hope you're right about this, Cap," Sam said, clearly uncomfortable at the disaster this could be. "Or we're gonna land a lot faster than you want to."

I gripped my hands together as the quinjet soared through a camouflage force field, into the Wakandan city. We glided over the water and flew into the city, landing in front of the vast palace.

I let out a controlled breath, adjusting the comm in my ear and got up, following beside Nat and Steve as we disembarked the quinjet.

A man stood between women clad in patterned red armour carrying spears, that must be the King, T'Challa.

"Seems like I'm always thanking you for something," Steve said to T'Challa, shaking his hand.

"Pleasure to meet you, King T'Challa," I said respectfully, nodding my head at him and he reciprocated, sending me a smile.

I eyed Bruce oddly as he bowed awkwardly to T'Challa.

"What are you doing?" said Rhodey in mock shock.

"Uh, we don't do that here," T'Challa said quickly, dissuading Bruce with a motion of his hand. "So, how big of an assault can we expect?" He asked as we began to walk into the great building.

"Uh, sir, I think you can expect quite a big assault," Bruce answered and I nodded my head in response.

"How we looking?" asked Nat.

"You will have my Kingsguard, the Border Tribe, the Dora Milaje, and-"

"A semi-stable, 100-year-old man," said a man with a metal arm to Steve.

"How you been, Buck?" Steve said, pulling him into a hug. I tried to keep my reaction to a normal standard, not letting my mouth gape open when I realised that this was the Bucky Steve was looking for all those years ago.

"Uh, not bad for the end of the world."

I was quick to wrap an arm around Vision's shoulder, helping Wanda support Vision through the long walk to Shrui's lab, T'Challa's younger sister. I smiled at her as we walked in then propped Vision up on the examination table, Wanda helping him lay down.

I stood by the window beside Nat, keeping one eye overlooking the skies on high alert for Thanos, and the other watching the scene.

Shuri scanned the Stone with the technological beads on her wrist as Vision laid still, Wanda right beside him. She flipped her hand over and studied the hologram projected over her palm. "Whoa, the structure is polymorphic."