VIII

My eyes flickered open, only be forced shut again by the blinding  artificial lights causing colourful spots to dance mockingly behind my eyelids

My eyes flickered open, only be forced shut again by the blinding artificial lights causing colourful spots to dance mockingly behind my eyelids. I tried to lift up my hand to rub my eyes but I found that couldn't move them, not even an inch. That made me finally wrench open my eyes despite the piercing light. I saw that my hands were bound tightly to chair by metal handcuffs. I rested my head on my shoulder, embracing the horrible thumping pain soaring through it, having nothing to nurse it.

"Morning," a man's voice said, falsely chirpy. "I just finished taking to your friend." I pried open my eyes again, slowly, to see a thin-haired man in a suit. He stood in front of me with his hands clasped in front of him. "You and him took down some of the most highly trained professionals in the world and made them look like a bunch of minimum wage mall-cops," he said, now with a straight face, masking all emotions. "That's hurtful. In my experience it takes someone with similar training or perhaps even more specialised to do what you just did. Why don't you tell me where you received your training? Russia? Arabia? Japan?"

I said nothing and stared into his cold blue eyes with just as much plainness as him. In truth, I wanted to laugh, being trained but some ex-Soviet Officers? Some Japanese assassins? Try the Greek Goddess of Hunting and the Greek God of Archery.

"Certain groups would pay a lot of money for a person of your skill set. Who are you?"

Again, I stared back, face hardened. I wasn't going to tell him anything. Zeus would have to come kill me before I uttered a single word about who I was.

"Don't want to talk? Well, how about you tell me about that little stunt you pulled? You froze all my men in place. How'd you manage that one?"

My heart lurched forward violently, I knew that would be a risk but I had presumed Thor would have actually got Mjolnor and fly us out of there.

I knew he noticed the cogs whirl in my brain so I had to say something.

"I don't know, maybe they all got a terrible spasm which locked their muscles into place?" I said, keeping a straight face. My accent leaked through my words, nerves of the truth of my powers at sake.

"So you do speak," he exclaimed, smiling falsely at me. "So tell me, who are you? Who's your friend?" Yet I fell back into my silence, zipping my mouth tightly closed. "One way or another, we will find out what we need to know. We're good at that."

He looked at me one last time, trying to get me to budge but left the room through the sliding glass door.

As soon as he left, I slumped my heavy head back on my shoulder, my chest heaved with pain and exhaustion. What happened back there? I got shot in the neck with an...arrow? I groaned in frustration. Thor was supposed to be able to pick up that hammer, fly us out of there, go back to Asgard to allow peace between our realms and I'd be free to see my father again. But no, that didn't happen and now I'm stuck in this military site and Gods know what will happen to me now.