I

olympus

three years ago

the second trial

Staring at the gold embellished mirror, I observed my appearance

Staring at the gold embellished mirror, I observed my appearance. White sandals laced up my legs and my hair was twisted into a bun with a wreath of yellow chrysanthemums.  A pure, white peplos hung off my shoulders, gathering loosely at the bottom in pleats. The Festival of Youth was the only time the citizens of Olympus were allowed to wear white.

I had not again visited the Pantheon since I defeated the Chimera. Lord Zeus was thundering with annoyance at my survival and did not even try to hide it. He was practically seething when I walked into the golden hall holding the Chimera's tail that I chopped off.

Nothing grave had happened in Olympus for a while, well, nothing Labour worthy enough for Zeus.

For the past weeks, I had been training endlessly with any Olympian who would care to. Apollo was busy doing who knows what and Artemis had retreated back to her preferable habitat of the woods. I couldn't help but feel deserted, she, despite our fairly feeble relationship, was all I had right now but I knew I would see her tonight. Did I even want to though? The was the question.

After slinging my arrow necklace back on, I left my house and made my way through the bustling path to the centre of Olympus, to the Fountain of Youth.

The masses of Olympians resembled the floating clouds which graced the tops of the mountain, protecting it from the unwanted onlookers. I stood near the back of the excitable crowd which surrounded the glittering, precious waters. I was nervous to be in the presence of so many Olympians so I tried to stay away from any large flurries, not knowing if they were still weary of me or not. A gradual hush fell out among the crowd causing me to whip my head around to find the cause.

I rolled my eyes as I saw Zeus leading The Twelve with wide arms. Loud cheers erupted around me yet I stayed silent, despising his arrogance.

"Not a fan?" A light voice asked.

I turned to find Kol, a son of Ares who had offered to train with me a few months ago. His spring sky eyes shined as he smiled at me, warmer than the faultless Olympian weather. Thankful barely describe how his kindness made to feel in the sea of coldness from the others.

"How could I be? He wants me dead," I scoffed but broke out into a small grin after seeing his face.

"Don't let these guys hear you," he replied, darting his eyes at the crowd. "They worship him."

I hummed in agreement.

"Do you?"

"You can't deny what he's done for Olympus, what he's done for my family," he said and I rose my eyebrow at him, knowing that that wasn't how he truly felt. "But yeah, no, he's a prick."

We chucked, covering our mouths with our hands to try and make sure nobody heard us.

The Twelve made their way to the front of the crowd to the fountain, Artemis spotted me in the crowd and nodded her head at me. I smiled slightly in return, I guess that was her best attempt at showing her affection, if she had any for me at that. My smile grew as my uncle, Apollo, sent me a wink.