XIII

sakaar

We were in a sea of utter red. If was as if Aeolus had released his fatal winds from Aeolia in the most damaging blow he could have created. Remnants of shattered aircrafts whip around us in the mercury haze as we fly impossibly closer to the portal. I squint my eyes to block out the harsh haze and sharp flashes as Brunnhilde relentlessly pushed onwards.

"Here we go," she announced.

I tightened my grip of the straps securing me in my seat, my knuckles turning white as a huge piece of debris smacked onto the wall of the ship beside me.

"Shit," she whispered as booming explosions go off around us.

My face paled as the debris unapologetically collided with us, knocking the Commodore slightly from its course.

The ship began to shudder violently as the crashing became constant and neared the centre of the Anus.

"AGH," Bruce grunted and I looked over to him quickly to see him shutting his eyes tightly.

"Bruce, please don't freak out..." I shouted over the explosions but soon we zoomed closer and closer to the glowing white jump and the space around us turned purple.

I let out a groan as my body strained against the space-time continuum and I shut my eyes tightly, the purple glow imprinting on the back of my eyelids and then...everything went black.

My eyelids fluttered slowly open and I felt the ship glide smoothly beneath me. I released my grip on the straps of my chair to rub my eyes from this new white glow.

We were in Asgard.

An Asgard that seemed well on its way to destruction.

"I never thought I'd be back here," Brunnhilde said softly as we zoomed down the waters below us.

"I'll say," I whispered under my breath. The golden tubed palace rose above the ground and my mind was momentarily transported back six years and the pain of my Trials flooded through me, it almost felt like another was on the horizon.

Bruce unfastened his seatbelt and clambered to his feet to stand in between Thor and Brunnhilde.

"Thought it'd be a lot nicer," Bruce said. "I mean, not that it's not nice. It's just that, it's on fire."

"Here, up in the mountains," Brunnhilde said quickly, pointing to the hologram in front of her. "Heat signatures. People clustered together. She's coming for them."

"Okay, drop me off at the palace," Thor started and I whipped my eyes away from the hologram immediately. "I'll draw her away."

"No, Thor, you'll get yourself killed," I said, unfastening my own seatbelt and pushing myself to my feet in disbelief at his words.

"The people trapped down there are all that matters. While I'm down there dealing with Hela, I need you three to help get everyone off Asgard," he said, turning to look at me, his eyes so full of concern for his people and I knew that nothing I could say would change his mind.

"How the hell are we supposed to do that?" Bruce asked.

"I have a man on the ground."

Thor and I took a speedy trip to down to the armoury of the palace, needing to grab a gun for the ship. As we slipped in and out of the vault, staying unnoticed, I kept my hand clasped tightly into his, not wanting to let him go, wanting to let him know I was there if he wanted me to aid him but I knew fighting Hela was something he had to do alone.

"There," he said to Brunnhilde, fitting the gun onto the ship as I jumped back into it, "now it has a gun."

"We'll take it from here," she said nodding to him with a small smile.