First Day Of School

The first day to the last year of high school. A day we all have anxiety mixed with excitement. The popular crowd only happy to see their own. The nerds uneasy about grades and college essays. The artists clueless as to where the path they've chosen will take them. I'm in none of the many more categorised types of teenagers we have here at Blackwood Kingston High School. Odd name to a stereotypical school isn't it?

I look around at all the colours of my smoked and drugged up environment, walking from the parking lot towards the school's entrance. I see tongues and Swiss knives. Girls in skirts and tang tops with uncomfortable looking heels. Whereas I'm here wearing my plain red hoodie, black fading jeans with my most used black pair of laceless sneakers. My hair in a 10 second bun with my loose strands of frizzy curls popping out all over. But I could care less.

My grade average isn't all that good. I maintained roughly about a 3.5 and all I know is that anywhere is better than here. My home life isn't all that homely like the average student would generally have. But back to reality. I walk through the very doors and get stared at as usual. Absolutely nothing new.

I walk past the strong cologne sprayed boys that I practically cough due to engulfing such a strong scent. The boys at my school are your typical dressed up and sex consumed males.

They majority of the time wear their blue jeans with different colour shirts that somehow fit their many different types of bodies. The popular males dress like that. The nerds dress more to my liking, which is hoodies and jeans with normal shoes. No name brands. And as for the artist. Each of them with their own unique style and wardrobe choices. Some with all black, and others with more expression and rainbow coloured clothes. Rings and headbands with chains with paintbrushes or instruments.

I get to my first class. Biology. I love this subject. It's my very favourite. I'm not the smartest but I do get good marks generally. I enjoy the various sections to its syllabus. I sit down and leave my black old backpack on the floor at the side of my chair. I move closer towards the desk.

I twist and lower down to the side to open and take out my notebook and study textbook along with my plain purple pencil case and exam pad. As I set them specifically on my desk, I take out my colour pens ready to take down notes as my teacher, Mr Wilson, teaches.

I quickly take out my phone that I hid in my bra as no devices are allowed, to check the time. 20 minutes before 8, which means I've got 20 minutes before class starts and Mr Wilson comes.

I draw an unknown drawing that I soon sketch and line into a butterfly on a thin branch of a tree that's yet to be seen. I zone out of my thoughts to see a boy, take out the chair to the table next to mines. Normally, no one sits with me. As I am the misfit. I don't particularly have a certain crowd to march around like a confident clown with. I notice my phone was still in my hand, so before he sees it, I quickly stash it into my backpack. That quick movement got his attention. "are you alright miss?".

"Yeah" I vaguely replied. He gives me a confused look before more kids start to come and I look away continuing my drawing. About 12 minutes later, Mr Wilson walked in. "Good morning class, welcome to 12th grade biology. Before we begin on today's introduction to the year's syllabus-" i zoned out due to feeling the presence of someone watching me, oh great, it's that boy.

I try to ignore it but it's been about half an hour and I feel his pestering eyes from time to time. I turn my face and give him a nasty glare. To which he surprisingly continues his stare. What's wrong with this boy? Is he stupid? By the end of the day he'll stop when he hears the made up rumours of me. I turn my attention back to Mr Wilson.

After about 15 minutes later, the bell finally rings for lunch. I wait till the rest pack up and go off in a hurry to gulp down food like the bunch of vultures that they are.