Survive

I wake up, holding back screams. Last night hit me like a shovel to the head, which thanks to the man known as father, I now know what it feels like.

I look around with my head pounding. There's blood everywhere. I feel thirsty and weak to the bone. I see a note next to me with blood all over.

Come to the kitchen when you see this - Roxanne & John

How the hell do they even expect me to get up? I end up crawling to the kitchen. My ankle looks to be twisted and my sides have thin holes with dried up blood. My upper half burns with each movement. The cuts sting, especially on my stomach. It's never been so bad. I start to cry with tears falling on the floor as I crawl. I hate this life.

I make it to see the cruel man drinking something from a mug with the newspaper in his other hand. Mother is eating toast and is texting on her phone. They turn to me upon hearing me struggle and moan from pain.

"Don't ever break any rule again. You will clean your mess up or you'll be in trouble", said father. "Yes sir", I obey. "Now get the hell out of my sight. You're ruining my morning", he scolded.

That day, I cleaned and made them dinner. After their dinner, I asked if it would be okay to go to the doctor. They said it's fine but they won't pay for my own doing.

I've already missed out a day of school on Monday due to the punishment of Sunday's events. I switched my phone off. I saw a doctor and used the remainder of my money I had saved. I got pain medication. I've got a twisted ankle along with three fractured ribs and two broken ones.

The doctor bandaged my hips and sterilized it so that there would be no infection from the holes made by the heels, and to help the cuts on my stomach heal better. As for the cuts on my thighs, he cleaned and sterilized it too. He bandaged the deepest ones but left the others to heal on its own.

The doctor is a friend to my parents. He knows everything that goes on and keeps quiet about it. He is just as horrible as they are.

For the rest of the week I stay at home and rest. Brianna stopped by but my parents told her I'm sick and sent her away. I don't go on my phone because I don't want to talk to Bri or Dylan.

Now it's Monday and I feel better after resting for a week. My cuts are healing thankfully and my ankle, the doctor bandaged it and put it back in place.

I can walk but barely. It's a limp but it'll have to do. I can't afford to have my grades drop. I need to leave and get away from this place.

I walk to school with struggle and less air in my lungs it seems. I finally make it into school ignoring the weird looks and get to English immediately. I sit down and take my heavy backpack off my shoulders and just relax. Whilst trying to catch my breath, I didn't notice Dylan come in and walk up to me.

"Where the hell have you been!", He yelled at me. Turning around startled and bewildered, I answered, "Keep your voice down and I was sick." I kept my eyes straight and focused on the blank board. "Don't lie to me, Madelyn. I can only be patient for so long and-", I interjected and turned my head up to see him look down at me.

"And what?" I urged him to complete his sentence but he was stiff. His veins were popping out like that day in math.

Following his eyes, I realise, he has been staring at my neck. "Why are you just staring at me like that?" I asked. He gathered himself. I can feel the intensity from his eyes being on me. Dylan and I must be making way for the latest gossip to spread throughout the school with this fiasco. "I want everyone out of this class. Now." He demanded sternly.

Students practically bolted out, leaving just the two of us. "Did you get hurt?", he asked. "No", I bluntly said and looked down.

I felt him move my hoodie away from my neck to look in. "What do you think you're doing!" I yelled and hit his hand away from me. "What the hell is that? There's a thick, deep cut and bruises!" I kept quiet.