80

It doesn't take you long to remember where your loyalty lies. Perhaps this has been your dream since you were a child. Maybe you've been raised to fulfill the one wish of joining vampire society. But, that doesn't change the fact that Ferris is your friend. That the coven consists of citizens from your town. You may have been bred loyal to the vampires, but life isn't going to start the second you've been matched with a vamp. It started long ago, when you took your first breath. Your loyalty is to your friends and not to a vampire you've only known for a couple hours. The decision is clear, you're going to save Ferris and the coven.

You leap at Ell, lunging forward and raising your arm in an attempt to land a solid blow against her cheek. In the fraction of a moment it takes for Ell to realize what you are about to do, you see a flicker of disappointment cross her flawless face. Her eyes shine with sadness and her mouth lurches with regret. Perhaps she didn't intend on hurting you after all, but she sure intends to now.

That brief moment of surprise gives way to a swift jolt across the side of your ribs. With one swing of Ell's fist, you are sent flying into the balustrade so that both sides of your ribs are now buzzing with pain that indicates your entire ribcage is bruised, if not broken.

With the wind knocked from your lungs, you have difficulty standing and you fall to the ground, scraping yourself against the stone on your way down. Bruised and bloodied, you take slow breaths, trying to calm your heart down long enough to assess what to do next.

Ell, however, doesn't need the time to focus. You've thrown the first punch — though you failed to land it — and now Ell is in for the kill. She's readying her next strike and you're going to have to fend her off if you have any hope of saving Ferris.

With adrenaline pumping through your veins, you ignore the pain resonating within your body and, instead, seek a weapon to help fend off a creature who has significantly more strength than you. You check to see what is on hand as you can't do more than that with Ell a breath away.

You find the silver pin you bought with Ailisa earlier that day, the embracing statue you stole from the lounge, and the knife you slipped up your sleeve. Which will save you? You better think quick as you won't be getting a second chance.

- Silver Pin: ch 97

- Embracing Couple Statue: ch 98

- Knife: ch 99