228

You pull out the butter knife and lay it on your palm. You focus your thoughts on needing to fight off the drones while reciting the spell. You feel the knife warm upon your hand and then it grows in size. By the end of your incantation, the knife has enlarged into a blunt sword. Bracing it in both hands, you charge forward to attack. However, you aren't skilled in swordplay and the butter knife isn't shaped to slash and stab like a typical sword. The drones are quick to parry your attacks and then disarm you completely.

You look on with horror as the drones return to support the duke's brutal attacks upon Ell. You decide to come up with another spell, but before you can pull out another item to channel magic through, your vampire is captured by both drones. The duke is then able to get a grip on Ell's head. With a flick of his wrists, a snap of bone echos through the hall and you feel your stomach lurch.

A drone then hands over their short sword to the duke, which he uses to stab straight into Ell's chest, breaking the vampiric curse and turning your protector into a pile of ash.

You ball your fists and clench your teeth against the pain throbbing in your chest. He died for you and he knew nothing about you. And soon your sister will join him because you decided to play hero.

You think to run, but you know it's a hopeless endeavor.

Instead you fall to your knees and wait for the drones to drag you over to the duke. As you dangle before him, you try to determine if you'd actually prefer death to a life of servitude as a mindless drone.

You won't let him see your tears as he sinks his teeth into your neck and yanks the blood from your veins. A fire burns, spreading through your skin and sending needles into your joints. You can't scream thanks to the blood gurgling in your throat, but it doesn't even matter. Your time is up.

He drains you of all but one drop. That single bead of blood still lingering inside you carries the taint of the vampiric curse and you are trapped inside your own mind as a drone.

You retain all your thoughts, fears, and guilt as the duke takes you and a whole army of drones and vampires out into the street to surprise the wolves. By your hands wolves die, their blood soaking into your skin as you watch it all pass by you like some horrible play. A play you'll have to relive day in and day out for eternity.

***

You've found one of the unsuccessful endings for this branch of the story... Why not go back and see if you can fight off the drones with a different item?