147

You don't have time for politics when it's your sister's life on the line. You spin around without hesitation and grab a jack-o-lantern off the nearest table. You don't have time to say the spell needed for a proper ward. Instead you rattle off the words as fast as you can and the result is a burst of energy like a ward shooting out from you. It dissipates after the initial shockwave, but it does plenty of damage before that.

Vamps, humans, and tables alike all go flying through the air with the thrust of your force field. You don't know where Ell ended up since she stood so close to you, but you are able to spot your sister. Gianette had skidded across the floor and now lies motionless. Then you hear the howls.

As everyone recovers, and no one certain of what just transpired, a thunderous boom a wolf pack's call rattles the windows. Through the glass doors, large, furred bodies pace and snap. The vamps don't stay long enough to consider who was the cause of the explosion. Instead they either attribute it to the wolves or forget about it all together. The vamps stampede for the door, ready to face their mortal enemies, leaving the humans behind.

You run out to your sister, kneeling down beside her. Your hand touches her cheek and then it feels the light brush of her breath against your fingertips. She's alive, but unconscious.

Though you don't know what your sister's plans were, you do know she had every intention to join the werewolves, who are currently embattled with the vampires outside. Whatever she may have planned, you know she can't stay here. You are about to throw her arm over your shoulder when you notice the light dim around you.

You look up to find several bodies blockading you. The humans have circled you and Ailisa stands with arms crossed and a disappointed pout darkening her painted face.

"Why Micah?" she asks, a tremble in her voice.

"She's my sister," you answer, uncertain why Ailisa would even have to question your motives.

"You can't leave," she replies, shaking her head and turning away. "We can't let you destroy our lives. You must be here when the vampires return. To offer up the perpetrators will guarantee us no rebuke from the vamps. If you really care for our town, sacrifice yourself so we can continue to live the dream promised us."

"I can't Ailisa, she's my sister, they'll kill her." You let Gianette lie on the floor, knowing that you won't be able to run out with her yet. Instead you glance around you. Shrapnel is scattered across the floor, though the only thing within arm's reach is a broken crystal cup that once had a parfait in it. Other than that, should you need to defend yourself, all you really have is the silver pin you bought that morning and the statue you pilfered from the lounge.

"Why Micah?" Ailisa asks again. Despite her persistent interrogation, the horde of humans don't wait for answer. They spring forward and you must act fast to fight them off and keep your sister safe. What will you chose to defend you?

- Silver Pin: ch 166

- Embracing Statue: ch 167

- Crystal Cup: ch 168