98

You pull the statue out of your pocket as Ell sends her hand for your throat. She pins you to the ground and though she could crush your windpipe with a shift of her weight, she keeps you alive and breathing. Your blood isn't as good if you're dead.

However, that need to drain you costs her time and her disregard for your free and mobile limbs gives you a chance to strike. You swing the hefty block of marble up, striking her against her temple.

And you strike again. And again. And...

All it manages to do is anger her further and she exerts her displeasure upon your throat. Oxygen becomes limited and your arm falls to the ground. With you sputtering and writhing, she swoops down and bites your neck hard. You try to scream, but only blood gurgles in your throat. You feel fire spreading across your skin, the terrible sensation accompanied by the impression of a thousand needles stabbing each nerve in your body with merciless precision.

Fortunately, the pain doesn't last long. Your vision drains of color and your limbs release all the tension that had so recently seized them. Your consciousness slips back, distancing itself from the world as if to watch a play from the balcony seats. When you eventually rise up from the ground it is not because you willed it, but because Ell commanded you to. When you give her a bow and follow her orders to go wait in the drone carriage, you do so without asking for further instruction. You simply know what must be done and your body acts on it.

From that night forward, you continue to serve Ell's wishes amongst the other drone staff at her castle. You clean rooms, serve tea, and even, on occasion, play music in the parlor. All of it you do without command from your own heart or mind. You sit as a prisoner, strapped to your theater chair, watching your life unfold. And so it will continue for eternity.

***

You've found one of the unsuccessful endings for this branch of the story... Why not go back and discover which was the best tool to use against Ell?