170

"I'll go," you shout, drawing all eyes to your corner of the field. Several of the wolves look on with slack jaws and wide eyes. Others watch you with apprehension darkening their gaze. The rest just turn to the alpha, eager to hear his take.

As for Gianette, she is caught somewhere between a smile and a frown, her eyes both wary and proud.

"What's this?" cries the wolf who first volunteered himself for the duty. "Is there another initiate? Will we even have time to battle?"

"I'm not an initiate," you answer, keeping your eyes on Colin as he takes measure of you. "I'm Gianette's sibling and as such I'm a friend of the pack. If you need someone to do a job that doesn't require me to be a wolf, then let me do it so that your plans are not delayed and no wolf is missing from the battlefield."

"I suppose there is no reason for it to be a wolf," the alpha answers, his hand massaging his scruffy chin. "We were going to infiltrate the ball through the people they plan to have for dinner."

"The herd?"

"Yes, those people. The ones they plan to turn to drones." Disdain drips through his words and he cringes at the thought. "Once inside we were going to cause a distraction..."

"A distraction that involved turning into a wolf and racing out to the street," cries Velt.

"Do you dare interrupt your alpha?" growls Colin, pushing his way out of the ring and drawing up to the meeker man. "Have you forgotten your place, Velt?"

"No my alpha," he whimpers, curling up and exposing his neck. "I wish only to do what's best for the pack and so I wish to move quickly."

"I make the call on what's best for us and so it is my desire that you remain close to my side during the battle. We'll need all wolves ready to tear out those bloodsuckers' throats. And that includes Gianette, once she passes the trial."

Velt does not contradict Colin and remains shuddering on the ground. Once satisfied with the wolf's submission, the alpha turns to you.

"The herd is entering through the east wing near the back of the hall. Slip in through there and get those vamps out on to the street."

"Yes, sir," you answer, giving him a nod before turning to face Gianette. Your sister's lips are firm and her eyes wet, but she gives you a nod as well. Without looking back, you run towards town and down the street towards the great hall.

After slipping through some alleys, you eventually find yourself on the less grandiose side of the stone crafted structure. The east wing door is buried down, burrowed into the earth with towering walls topped with ornate gardens to shield it from view. You look down at the entrance before descending the slope, but you find the herd missing and the doors guarded by drones.

You curse beneath your breath, accepting that the herd must have already been brought in for preparation of the drone ritual. You make your way back to the street, uncertain where to go from here. You glance at the entrance where guards still usher in a few late arrivals to the party. You could slip in, but you worry your rustic clothing may keep you out on the stoop, invitation or not.

You then glance over and notice the tavern lively with activity as breeders and laborers not meant for the ball enjoy a raucous night of forgetting they weren't included. However, beneath them, buried in the cellar, you recall Ferris's invitation to join him and his coven to take on the vamps. Without further hesitation, you sprint towards the alleys and slip in through the tavern's cellar door.

When you find an empty silence waiting you, you again curse your luck and kick the dirt covered floor. You think you might just end up joining the party upstairs and drowning yourself in drink when you hear a startled yelp from across the room.