75

He's drawing closer. If you don't act soon, he may just lunge for your neck and drain you before you can take another breath. So you close the gap between you before he has a chance to make his move. You slip your hands behind his neck and then pull him forward so that your lips collide together.

Your initial attempt was a painful bashing of teeth and lips, but when you draw back a hair and come at it again, you find that your advance is not impeded. In fact, you find Ell leaning into the kiss, even grasping your shoulders in an attempt to draw you farther in. However, it lasts only a moment before he pushes you away.

"What am I supposed to think of that?" he asks in a gruff, breathless whisper. "An easy tactic for a desperate rebel to pull." He runs a hand through his hair, ruffling his once perfect coif so that several strands now fall across his temples and tickle his long eyelashes.

"Did that feel like an empty kiss to you?" Somewhere you find the courage to pose the question with brimming confidence ringing in your voice. It likely sprung from your need to survive, but perhaps, there is also some small part of you that has taken a liking to this confused vamp.

"Lust can fill in a kiss rather easily, even if your goal is to slaughter my people." Ell brushes your assertion aside with a lazy wave of his hand, before dropping his head and sighing.

"I'm not trying to slaughter your people and I'm not part of the coven. The fact is, they're my friends and so I respect their decisions even if I don't agree with them. Just as I hope they respect my decision." You keep your distance, uncertain how he might be taking your explanation since his back is facing you. You take some comfort in his stance though. With his eyes turned away, he can't see how your hands wring together or how your body is stiff with anticipation.

"And what exactly is your decision?" asks Ell without looking at you.

"To enjoy the companionship that I was promised since I was born. I am loyal only to whatever vampire chooses me. I'm hoping it will be you." Your fingers stop their frantic twisting, your muscles slackening as you let the words hang in the air. You think of everything that has led to this moment. All the promises made to you as a child, all the lessons taught to prepare you for a life beyond this small town, all the hope you have resting on this tired vamp's shoulders.

"Prove it," he says, turning to face you, his green eyes desperate, but cautious.

You aren't sure what else you can offer to demonstrate your commitment. You've shared a kiss, you've confessed to your relation to the rebels, and now he wants more. You suppose those are all rather superficial offerings. Maybe you need to make one last big show of it. You take a moment and look around you, searching for inspiration. When nothing comes to you, you look to your own person for anything to spark the conviction needed to sell your loyalty.

On you, you find your silver pin that you bought that morning, the statue of the entwined couple that you mistakenly stole from the lounge, and the knife still hiding in your sleeve. Can any of these win over Ell?

- Silver Pin: ch 100

- Embracing Couple Statue: ch 101

- Knife: ch 102